Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Morning!

I am a bit confused and hoping for some guidance and advice!!

Basically, I work in a preschool. At the moment, there is nothing in place which offers children the chance to learn about letters and sounds. I am very keen to start this! I was thinking of introducing the

alphabet one letter a week and encouraging the children to bring in items frm home beginning with that letter (done in alphabetical order) Also, playing the alphabet song during sessions too.

I am also keen to start the Jolly Phonics programme. My confusion is that I dont know whether it would be better to introduce the letters in the format that the jolly phonics provides or in the alphabetical order (which obviously parents will be more familiar with) I dont want to confuse any children who are going to school in September either.

How does everybody else do this? As i mentionned. it is something that has not been implemented here yet and so any advice would be very helpful!! I need to sort it out soon so i can include info in our newsletter for the parents!!!

Please Help if you can!

Jellytots

If you go to the Standards Site you will find the National Primary Strategy Letters and Sounds which will provide you with all the materials, ideas and learning hierarchy you need for what you wish to do, and how to integrate it into your curriculum. Phase One is designed for Foundation Stage so don't be put off by it being part of the Primary Strategy. You will find a lot of this is what you are already doing.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/p...letters_sounds/

Hi

When I joined my setting the pre-school children sat for half an hour doing phonics every morning, this was out of a 2.5 hour session. I stopped it the minute I took over. We have sent staff on letters and sounds training, there is a document from the dfes ref:00281-2007FLR-EN the feedback I have had from staff who attended this training did not mention any teaching of phonics, it was more about rhythm and rhyming etc. We don't do phonics in a formal way but do talk about the first letters of our names etc, we have many labels around the room for the children to see. We have quite a few children who can recognise all their peers names from self registration and one who can also write everyones names! Personally I don't think it needs to be introduced at such a young age.

I don't know if this would help you clarify it in your mind; it hepled me. I also find it helps to explain it to parents this way. Our EYATs said that it's phonological awareness we develop in Phase 1; phonics starts with Phase 2 which, as Wendles and Jacqui say, is not aimed at preschool children.

I agree. We have been concentrating on phase 1 and are introducing the beginning of phase 2 with a letter/sound each week followed by two re-inforcing weeks each half term. Over a year that has given a gentle introduction to initial sound/letter recognition. We use a combination of jolly phonics and letters & sounds (which are basically the same anyway.) The letters and sounds DVD that comes with the document is excellent for ideas.

Phase 1 is a crucial phase to embed and it has to run alongside phase 2 for older children, particularly for those with under developed speaking and listening skills. However I do think it is important to also go with the pace/needs of more able children too. If they pick up the phonemes really quickly, they must be catered for or they may get bored. This doesn't mean 'death by phonics' for 25 mins a day - just a more differentiated approach to cater for all needs.

The DVD is one of the most useful I have seen - phonics in a phun way!

i have to say since we introduced jolly phonics a year ago the difference in children sounding out letters and words is amazing. we do it very genltly with one set of letters and the 'big book; each term and the children love it - as do the parents with the progression eing made. :o

The order of letters in both Letters and Sounds and Jolly phonics is to enable children to start blending and segmenting much quicker than with the order of the alphabet. Once children know the first 6 letters 'satpin' you can start with blending and segmenting cvc words straightaway. This should be started in reception. Phase one should be done in preschool and basically run along side the other phases and continue right through keystage one.

Hi there,

There is a very good article on Phonological Awareness by Kirstie Page in September 2008's EYE Magazine. She states: 'Good phonological awareness is ESSENTIAL preparation for later phonics activities and must be developed before teaching individual letters'.

Four main activities: Playing with words using rhyme and alliteration, developing beat skills i.e. clapping, marching; clapping out words by syllables including children's names and auditory blending i.e. Ha-rri-et, E-mma and so on.

Hope this is helpful,

You should only be using Letters and Sounds Phase 1 with your children - you can order just this phase on the standards websit. There is no expectation that children should know what the letters look like until they are in the reception class. It is all about phonological awareness - listening, rhyming, matching and reproducing sounds. It's all in the Letters and Sounds materials. They should be practical and multi-sensory activities and children should be practising these skills through child intiated activities.

A big thankyou to you all!!!

I have my Letters and Sounds pack and all ready to go with phase 1!

I knew the forum would come up trumps and settle my confusions! Thankyou!!!!

Morning!

I am a bit confused and hoping for some guidance and advice!!

Basically, I work in a preschool. At the moment, there is nothing in place which offers children the chance to learn about letters and sounds. I am very keen to start this! I was thinking of introducing the

alphabet one letter a week and encouraging the children to bring in items frm home beginning with that letter (done in alphabetical order) Also, playing the alphabet song during sessions too.

I am also keen to start the Jolly Phonics programme. My confusion is that I dont know whether it would be better to introduce the letters in the format that the jolly phonics provides or in the alphabetical order (which obviously parents will be more familiar with) I dont want to confuse any children who are going to school in September either.

How does everybody else do this? As i mentionned. it is something that has not been implemented here yet and so any advice would be very helpful!! I need to sort it out soon so i can include info in our newsletter for the parents!!!

Please Help if you can!

Jellytots

Hi we started this idea last term and are running it in the same way as you an interest table with the letters on. We dont run alphabetically though I contacted the EY teacher at our local primary and she has given me the order that she teaches letters and so we run with that it ensures a bit of continuity for the children

Hope that helps

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)