Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Winter Wonderland

We were very fortunate to have our Christmas role play area designed and constructed by one of our very talented parents and would like to use it as the basis for this half term. However I am really struggling for ideas as to how it can be used. We have added toy animals and also a selection of clothes [ gloves and socks for the children to match into pairs} Ther is an ice pool, fish and fishing lines.

Our theme for the half term is colour and so this white theme links in quite well but I could do with some inspiration please cos we are due a visit!!!!

Thanks

s4mmy

We too use fish and fishing lines and we added dots/ numbers to each of the fish and then used them as a devise to encourage number work. For the more able children , when caught the fishes number had to be selected from a pile of cards and put up on a number line.You could decorate them with shapes too. best of luck E.

Sorry S4mmy I'm feeling particularly brain dead at the moment!

I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum - but I'm sure there will be lots of advice on offer soon!

Maz

We were very fortunate to have our Christmas role play area designed and constructed by one of our very talented parents and would like to use it as the basis for this half term. However I am really struggling for ideas as to how it can be used. We have added toy animals and also a selection of clothes [ gloves and socks for the children to match into pairs} Ther is an ice pool, fish and fishing lines.

Our theme for the half term is colour and so this white theme links in quite well but I could do with some inspiration please cos we are due a visit!!!!

Thanks

s4mmy

Hi S4mmy!

My suggestion would be to hand things over to the children! "Creativity involves children in initiating their own learning and making choices and decisions" (Practice Guidance Page 106) - involve the group and see what ideas they generate. Sustained shared thinking can be extended through your interactions and many concepts can be practiced as they play, talk and develop their own ideas. We are hearing a great deal these days about following children's interests - Ofsted would be impressed!

Failing that, the description you gave of your white, frozen wonderland conjured up instant images in my mind of Narnia! After hearing a simple re-telling of the story, the children could make a wardrobe out of a big box and play out the narrative, dress up, make sledges ifrom re-cyclable materials, take part in 'snowflake' action rhymes, investigate freezing/melting, - and the White Witch and her imposed permanent winter do fit well with your colour theme.

Good luck and happy new year.

Fingertips

Oh, Fingertips, I DO like that (One of my favourite books!!).

And yes, with a few enhancements like the great number idea from ednaloy, I would hand it over to the children :o

BTW, welcome to the forum s4mmy!

Sue xD

Thanks everyone for your thoughts -we have asked the children for ideas but they were not very forthcoming [they always need to have lots of input following a holiday period and eventually get back into the swing of things]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)