Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tooth Brushing

Hi

can any one shed light since i am getting conflicting messages.

a dentist hyginest (spelling???) has said that children only need to brush their teeth twice a day (presumably this would take place at home) since they can have too much flouride.... however, we have in the past held a dental hygiene certificate for brushing our children's teeth. (i have not renewed it as yet!)

right now staff are asking me for clarification on this one.....

we find tooth brushing time consuming in the younger rooms (toddlers ~ 1-2 years), and in the other rooms the children tend to eat the toothpaste despite us asking them not to. i am also not happy with how the tooth brushes are currently stored (in little new bags and then in a basket) so may touch one another.

so to brush in nursery or not to brush?, what do other settings do?, and if they do brush what time do they do it, and how do they store toothbrushes, and for full day care, do you do teeth for all ages (once they have teeth) or just for pre-school when tehir understanding of why we brush teeth is established.

thanks for your help

Dawn

I work in full day care and only the 3-4 year olds clean their teeth after lunch, we only give them less then a pea size on their toothbrushes and then we store them in pots in a basket with a plastic toothbrush guard which clips on to each toothbrush, i got from the camping section in asda 4 for £2.00 the children enjoy finding theirs and we use smilely the crocodile puppet to show them in more detail how to brush their teeth.

I used to clean my teeth after every meal but I suffered gum problems. My dentist told me it was not necessary to clean your teeth more than twice a day, morning and night. I have not encouraged this in my setting because of this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)