Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chnese New Year Sensory Ideas!

Hi, I know it just over but Can we share some lovely sensory ideas for Chinese New Year. I work with 0-4's so need some lovely appropriate ones, please.

Here are a few, can we make a list?

Coloured sensory rice.

Coloured noodles

Red things treasure basket

Pouring cornflour over dragon type dinosaurs

any more , please

Thanks

Sunshine :o

we bought a fabulous Lions Head from an on-line auction site (cough!), for about £20, including postage, and it came all the way from Hong Kong.It's stunning and came in a big sturdy box, covered in year of the Rat stamps too.We let the children dress up in it, and they performed a lion dance around...................and through......................our building, making as much noise as they could, banging saucepans with spoons, blowing whistles,rattling tambourines and shakers etc, scared the living daylights out of some builders who were working next door ( I thought how great it was to get our own back for all the bloomin' noise they had been making!!), and the children thoroughly enjoyed it, even ones who are usually quite quiet, or don't like 'big noise'..........we explained about how the noise is supposed to scare away any bad luck and encourage good luck.

we saved chocolate gold coins from christmas (get them now if you haven't saved any, they're all reduced in the shops!), and the children made lucky red envelopes, which we then put several coins into.

Blossoms/flowers are considered lucky too, so make some to put around the room, or plant some seeds/bulbs for luck.

A clean house is considered lucky too ( so bad spirits don't have places to hide), so a good activity to include the children in, get them cleaning, dusting, washing the toys etc!

Lots of loud music banging and crashing cymbals etc when you've cleaned, to chase the bad spirits away!

Lots of red - big tabletop fingerpainting! Paint mixed with flour to make it gloopy

We do lots of fine motor skills stuff with chopsticks ... picking up a range of things. There's also a reall good book called "Clever sticks" which we enjoy. We make fortune cookies out of folded pastry (i think it's filo ... I'll check) - our nursery cook makes us a veggie stirfry, chicken with noodles and veggie rice ... then we have a big feast!! practising our chopstick skills of course. Staff all have lunch on that day too ... It's a real hoot! we finish off with a dragon dance and handing out fortune cookies. Fortune cookie messages are things like 'if the sun shines we play outside with our friends', 'if it's been raining we can splash in the puddles'

it's a real highlight of the year!

red glittery dough with appropriate new year animal cutters

shredded paper in red and gold with the same animals

you could do the chinese new year story in your tuf spot tray using different materials and small world animals

laminate the childrens names in english and chinese on red card and hide in the sand for them to find

sue

to be done by an adult, at a bit of a distance - but the wow factor is great, frying prawn crackers in shallow oil only 2 or 3 at a time. Can buy in supermarkets - Blue Dragon brand. The children can't work out how these little discs become such huge crisps! Also put some 5 spice powder into play dough - gorgeous smell.

mine had a lovely time last year playing with varying lengths of gold and red ribbon (lots and lots of them), they all did completely different things with them. They also did beautiful collages with all the red and gold things we could find.

Thanks for all the other ideas

Try flying kites on a windy day. Carrier bags paper or the plastic type, tied with some florestry ribbon for the string.

Great for outdoors :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)