Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker Groups

I have split my Reception class of 30 into 2 groups and myself the class teacher and my teaching assistant are the Key workers. Up to now this has only really been on paper and for administrative stuff, eg, sorting work, photos, observations into the children's learning journey files.

I have been advised that this is only a part of the 'Key worker ethos' and that I should be splitting the teaching time so that we each take our 'groups' for small group teaching, circle time, registration, etc. (effectively having 2 classes in one). I just don't know how this will work in one class (not physically got space for 2 groups to sit) and also timetabling, explaining to parents etc.

Does anybody know what we should be doing regarding 'Keyworkers' and how do you put it into practice?

I have split my Reception class of 30 into 2 groups and myself the class teacher and my teaching assistant are the Key workers. Up to now this has only really been on paper and for administrative stuff, eg, sorting work, photos, observations into the children's learning journey files.

I have been advised that this is only a part of the 'Key worker ethos' and that I should be splitting the teaching time so that we each take our 'groups' for small group teaching, circle time, registration, etc. (effectively having 2 classes in one). I just don't know how this will work in one class (not physically got space for 2 groups to sit) and also timetabling, explaining to parents etc.

Does anybody know what we should be doing regarding 'Keyworkers' and how do you put it into practice?

Who has told you this?

Where does it mention 'key worker ethos'in the statutory framework?

Each child MUST be assigned a key worker,the guidance is that the keyworker's role is to form a bond with the child and the parents,to take special interest and responsibility for that child.

Carry on as you are!

I believe i am the key worker for all of the class. At the end of the day i am the one who has to write the school reports and do parents evening I am the class teacher and get paid accordingly even all of the admin probably doesn't come under a TA's job description. My TA gets paid form 9-3.15 and doesn't get paid lunch breaks or a tea break and in that time she is there to work with the children, play, observe. The keyworker idea i thought was for mainly nurseries and pre schools where there are lots of children coming and going if they have session times come on different days have an age range of 2-5 etc.

I work in reception and am a Teaching assistant (Level 3 qualified) , we have been told by our LEA that the teacher is the keyworker and we do not have keyworker responsiblities as we are a school.

We brought up the key person topic with our EY advisor a month or so a go and he said that it is different to that of a key worker in pre-school settings. A key person is just recognising that different children may bond better with different people so it could be a teacher, TA, etc... Therefore allocating people wouldn't work. It's just so that there is someone that they know they can go to. It's not for report writing, observing etc... and parents do not need informing who it is. As far as we were concerned it was what we were already doing. He did also say that lots of people had been given the wrong message on this possibly due to the confusion between key workers in preschool and a key person in year R. He did also say that at lunchtimes the children should know the key people to go to, but I am sure everybody does this anyway. I hope this helps. Have a good Christmas.

We brought up the key person topic with our EY advisor a month or so a go and he said that it is different to that of a key worker in pre-school settings. A key person is just recognising that different children may bond better with different people so it could be a teacher, TA, etc... Therefore allocating people wouldn't work. It's just so that there is someone that they know they can go to. It's not for report writing, observing etc... and parents do not need informing who it is. As far as we were concerned it was what we were already doing. He did also say that lots of people had been given the wrong message on this possibly due to the confusion between key workers in preschool and a key person in year R. He did also say that at lunchtimes the children should know the key people to go to, but I am sure everybody does this anyway. I hope this helps. Have a good Christmas.

It's still "Key Person" in Preschools, was key worker many moons ago. But yes, otherwise he's right, and you will be doing it anyway

You may find that this link will help - scroll down the page until you come to the info re Key Person.

http://www.durhamlea.org.uk/earlyyearsfoundationstage/

We have done this for years now. We are a three form entry and we have always had a kley person using teacher and TA. We start the relationship with our home visits and the child and parents know who the key person will be before they start school. All children meet with their key person in the morning and some of the small group time activities will be with the key person especially at the beginning of the year. Yes as the class teacher I have the overall responsibility for 30 children but we all work so well together it really does help with the children but I also find it helps my workload. The Key Person also will meet regualry with the parents and discuss the child's Learning Journey as we don't have parent evenings! It really works well if you are happy to work as a team and the relationships are also excellent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)