Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk

Hi Can i just ask if you have free milk for the children in your pre-schools. we do but just recently it has changed to semi-skimmed milk instead of full fat, i thought children should have full fat milk... just wondered what others have?

We also have free semi-skimmed milk.

I phoned our supplier to ask about full fat milk and was told it's all about the govement tackling childhood obesity.

A beaker of milk a day will make them so fat :oxD

jackie

Children over 2 can have semi skimmed milk but NOT skimmed milk. That isnt suitable for under fives. If children are eating well then there is no reason why they shouldnt have semi skimmed milk once they reach 2. All full fat gives is more calories.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the free milk forms state that you must buy full fat milk??? it's what we buy, because we never know what the children's diet is like at home ( in fact, we DO know some of our children have very poor diets, so we try to balance things at our snack times).

Thanks for your replies... i have a parent questioning why we are giving the children semi- skimmed... must admit i thought it had to be full fat....tried phoning who we get the milk from to be greeted by an answering machine.. and guess what they haven't returned my call....just wondered what others have... it's good to know... thanks.

We usually have full fat bit quite often (3-4 times per term) they deliver semi skimmed. I am not sure why, probably run out of full fat. The children dont mind though, and our parents dont get to see it as it is drunk during session. I am not sure they would mind anyway.

What type of milk can be supplied under the Scheme

Milk means heat-treated (e.g. pasteurised) liquid cow’s milk. It

includes whole and semi-skimmed milk. It does not include milk

with flavours, colours, added vitamins or any other additions. It

does not include fully skimmed milk, goat’s milk, soya milk or

unpasteurised milk.

Infant formula or ‘dried milk’ for babies under one means one of

the following brands:

• Aptamil 1st

• Aptamil Extra

• Cow and Gate Premium

• Cow and Gate Plus

• Farleys 1

• Farleys 2

• Hipp Organic

• Milumil

• SMA Gold

• SMA White.

Taken from the downloaded pdf found here

Looks like you can give either semi skimmed or full fat.

Guest Jeminia

Oh I thought pre school children should have full cream milk! that is what I told our staff as they did not know they could get it free!! I was doing voluntary work then! Really surprised that they can drink semi skimmed now,oh how times have changed!!