Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gender Development

I am doing a study at the moment about Gender Development with a particular interest in the content and editing of children's advertisements on television. If anyone has come across anything relevant whilst researching other topics I would be very grateful. :o

I've got abook called 'Playing them false - A study of children's toys, games and puzzles' by Bob Dixon, published by Trentham books. ISBN 0-948080-31-0. Its from 1992. In the preface he says ' My purpose in this book is to show what ideas, views and attitudes are presented to children through toys, games and puzzles, and how and by what means they are presented.

i recently did my dissertation on television and language development a lot of the research articles that i used and found referend to television and the effects on gender, i have quite a few that you can have with pleasure as i have a lot not sure of the best way to get them to you quite a lot to upload will see if i can send them to you.

I'm going back 10 yrs ago now when I did a study of the effects of television advertisments on gender stereotyping, one of the main things I remember and still find prevelant today is the subtle use of 'music' to further express the stereotype. ie: Girls products were depicted with jingly, high noted, 'jolly' or gentle music whereby the boys products were backed with dramatic, busy, action style type music. Evn colours used were predominantly gender stereotyped, black, browns, greens and vivid blue for boys, pinks, yellows, pastels for girls.

I enjoyed my study, even though it proved what I thought I was already aware of, I hope you enjoy yours too.

Peggy

I think I will be starting to get on my husbands nerves though. I keep switching to the children's channels every break, rewinding to watch them several times over and then sit there moaning about all the gender stereotypes contained within them! :o

I remember I did the same, just shows how subtle it all is as I hadn't really noticed before I started my study. I also remember having a discussion with my husbands brother about his choice of xmas presents for his sons, saying how he had succumbed to TV advertising pressure for 'boys' toys. xD (He wasn't impressed :o )

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)