Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

German Resources

Hi all,

Our school has had 2 new arrivals from Germany over the past couple of days. They have no English at all and I wondered whether anyone knew of any useful resources/websites I could use? Have scoured Sparklebox but not really found anything specific!

Tinky :o

Hi Tinky,

Well, no real solid advice, but we've had a number of children recently with no English and few other children with their language to help - we just used lots of TLC and patience, best efforts with parents/carers and found folk to help with some basics of translation. The children actually adapt very quickly, by and large (well, in our experience!) and soon start helping parents.

Good luck

Sue

Just wanted to say that we have alot of children with EAL and we find that they do adapt very quickly; we have found our visual timetable a fantastic resource for this.

There's always babelfish too

I'd be a bit careful using online translators though - we used to have great fun putting something in, translating it to another language, and then translating it back to English to see what it came out as! More times than not, it didn't say what we originally put in.. infact, it's usually far off!

Find out what level English the parents have.

In my expereince - (being half German and spending time over there) a lot of adults learnt English as a second language in Germany. - So you could work with the parents.

Again you can get some good flashcards and books from Usborne - who have have some very basic words that will help you describe what you want and to also understand what they are saying.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience trying to get basic key words from parents/carers helps. Lots of smiles and facial encouragement. Take time to demonstrate and lots and lots of practical experiences. I have also found a visual time table helpful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)