Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting In Year 1

Can anyone help me!! I am the Reception Teacher in a single form entry school. My last class, now in Year 1 are not a great cohort. There are lots of children in there with behaviour problems and quite a few SEN children. They have been continuing to work from the Foundation Stage Curriculum with some of the more able being given more focussed tasks. The problem is, the Headteacher now wants the Year 1 teacher to set end of year targets for all the children. Many children have not yet achieved NC level 1C and some are still only getting FSP 4 in CLL and PSRN. What do we set as realistic targets for these children? Do we start them on PScales or target them with getting 6 points on the FSP? What will happen if these children get to Year 2 and are not yet on NC level 1? Argghhh, does anyone have an answer?????

I would say that after Christmas they should be assessed using P scales. If that is the level that they are functionning at they will still need loads of practical play based activities in Y1, targetting particular hildren/ areas that they find difficult. If they are low down on the P scales they should really be on school action onthe SEN COde of Practice.

I would say that after Christmas they should be assessed using P scales. If that is the level that they are functionning at they will still need loads of practical play based activities in Y1, targetting particular hildren/ areas that they find difficult. If they are low down on the P scales they should really be on school action onthe SEN COde of Practice.

Thanks for quick replies! The lowest 6 are already on the SEN list and have IEP's so I suppose they should stay with the PScales as targets and continue with the support they have. The trouble is the rest of the class are really struggling to work independently and need lots of support too. The teacher is worried that at the end of the year most of her class are only just going to be ready for NC and they will then be going into year 2 with a teacher who is saying 'They can't come up to me still on Foundation Stage' What happens if this is the case? There are about 8 children who are working at the expected level.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/11930/07...ools%5B1%5D.pdf

"Who Should Be Assessed Using the P Scales?

P scales should only be used for pupils between 5 and 16 who are working below National Curriculum level 1 and have also been identified as having special educational needs. They are not appropriate for use with children who do not have a SEN even if they are working below National Curriculum level 1, for example some children with English as an additional language."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)