Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas In The Black Tray

Guest tinkerbell

not a black tray but I have made a childs shoe box covered in silver paper in side

1 bell

2 ribbons

3bows

4 angels

5 tiny presents

6 tea lights smelling of francincense and myrrh

7pine cones

8 wooden christmas tree ornaments

9 stars

10 reindeer

i take a child aside and present the box to them...'would you like to play with my box? and they open it and away you go....

I have used it to do an observation

each of the 5 children did something different ..I find it fascinating!

first child said 'oh christmas' and then put everything in one long line

another child opened it and said 'oh a story box' she took items out and told me a story about everything,re arranging etc...

i am really enjoying the childrens responses.

I have already have something similair planned but not for the black tray :o I have a really old christmas themed biscuit tin from my childhood with a selection of christmas items in and theres some word cards with photo's of the objects. I plan to leave it on a table with the lid on and see what happens....

(clipboard and observation sheets to hand)

Tinsel sounds good and i'll use the shaving foam and silver glitter in january (i think it may be snowy enough in the morning! )

Edited by Guest

marshmallows (large and small) building igloos!

You can add animals too and see if you can build an igloo big enough for them!!!!

Sometimes, if they are engrossed, but getting frustrated you can add icing to make the marshmallows stick together!!!!

Ice cubes and cornflour!

Ice cubes and powder paint!

not a black tray but I have made a childs shoe box covered in silver paper in side

1 bell

2 ribbons

3bows

4 angels

5 tiny presents

6 tea lights smelling of francincense and myrrh

7pine cones

8 wooden christmas tree ornaments

9 stars

10 reindeer

i take a child aside and present the box to them...'would you like to play with my box? and they open it and away you go....

I have used it to do an observation

each of the 5 children did something different ..I find it fascinating!

first child said 'oh christmas' and then put everything in one long line

another child opened it and said 'oh a story box' she took items out and told me a story about everything,re arranging etc...

i am really enjoying the childrens responses.

What a lovely idea and useful for finding out where children are in their thought processes

ok I've woke up at 2am this morning- so excited to see the snow!! :o

not really I've got a hacking cough and didnt want to disturb my other half any longer.

Where better to pass a few hours than the forum!

So how about this- as the weather is so cold at the moment what about leaving some bowls/ trays etc of water outside overnight and put them in the tuff spot in the morning- or water tray for that matter. That is of course if they have frozen.

If you have some interesting shaped containers even better- jelly moulds could be great. You could add glitter to them or put a small toy in the container too.

Lots of fun investigating what happens next!

p.s. no snow as yet in Brum- just rain xD

We have a christmas village in ours, with material to look like snow and peaks and small world santa's and woolly snowmen etc its great!!!

However we are going to use the other one by laying black paper inside it and then making tracks using cas and trucks and white paint......

We sometimes use one of ours as a lid over the tyre which contains sand.

Yesterday one of the class told me there was glass outside...... and yes it was ice frozen initially into the groves of the underside of the builders tray......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)