Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hello all, I'm new to the site and think it's absolutely fab! I am a student and this site has given me lots of ideas for teaching. I am currently doing my dissertation and wonder if anyone can help me? I am interested in outdoor play as on placements I have found it is totally dependant on the practitioner weather/out of comfort zone etc. I have decided to do it on

A teacher's perception of the role of outdoor play and how they incorporate it within their setting.

Just wondering whether anyone has any brilliant ideas to share...maybe about their experience of outdoor play or how you do it at your school. Any help is much appreciated, very nervous about dissertation....thanks x

Welcome to the forum stephlb86! I'm glad that you've found the forum useful so far - please feel free to join in with the discussions or ask more questions if there is anything you are unsure about. xD

I'm going to move this into the training part of the forum where you are likely to get a better response, and lots of sympathy about dissertation writing! :o

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't really help, but I would like to say we have invested in a canopy that we have saved for 5 years to buy. It is the best thing we have ever invested in as it enables us to use the outdoor area whatever the weather. Even when it is raining we can allow the children to run freely in their coats, boots and umbrellas as we have space for all these things to be housed and children can get dry again before going indoors. We had a couple of members of staff who didn't like playing outdoor, but we do it on a rota so no one is outside for too long and eveyone is far more excepting!!

Good luck with your dissertation!! :o

Welcome to the forum, first of all - what a wise decision!

Is the information you're asking for going to form part of your findings for your dissertation or just for background information? You might want to find out the kind of settings resondees are working in - we are a packaway group operating from a village hall and so have very limited storage for our outdoor resources. So we can't have a canopy like Shiny has and can't store wet things like boots and umbrellas.

We do enjoy outdoor play everyday though - just that we have to overcome the limitations placed on us by our environment!

Sorry if that's a bit negative! :o

Maz

Hi and welcome from me also!

I am in a nursery attached to a school and there have been many changes re outdoor play for ourselves and reception class over the years.

Let me know what you specifically want to know before I launch into a mega speel about stuff that won't find useful!!

TGIF!

Hi

I'm a NN working in with 2 reception classes at the moment and operating an outdoor classroom.The undercover area I have set up as a basic provision area (it has shutters but has to also store bikes etc over night) and extend into the tarmaced area when in session.

If you post a list of questions we may beable to give you our views better

Hello and welcome.

I was placed as a a PGCE student last year at a school with a fantastic foundation leader which started to embrace the EYFS in preparation for this year. They had 50% child initiated (scaffolded) learning with free- flow and a covered area outside (as well as uncovered). It really worked. It really really works if the enthusiasm and commitment to making a difference is their!!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like there's some very good schools out there....pity I wasn't placed at one hey???? Well iv been thinking of some key questions I can ask teachers about their role in outdoor play. Where I was placed I dont think the teachers understood their role in outdoor play. Any replies will be much appreciated

How do teachers incorporate outdoor play and learning as a regular part of the daily routine?

How do teacher’s establish quality outdoor play and learning environments?

hOW DO teachers planning particular and intentional opportunities for outdoors that build on children’s interests, potential to learn, and curiosity?

Do teachers refrain from overuse of teacher-led activities that limit the possibilities for individuals, pairs, or larger groups of children to engage in their own self-directed learning?

Are teachers missing opportunities to engage with children in play and learning activities by being involved in unrelated tasks?Thanks everyone x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)