Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation

Hi All,

Please help, I'm being observed on Tuesday by the HT. I have a reception class and am teaching a maths lesson about maps, possibly linked to the story We are going on a Bear Hunt. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make it a really good lesson as my HT is super critical.

P.S. I am new to the forum and am not sure if i've posted this in the right place!

Hi All,

Please help, I'm being observed on Tuesday by the HT. I have a reception class and am teaching a maths lesson about maps, possibly linked to the story We are going on a Bear Hunt. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make it a really good lesson as my HT is super critical.

P.S. I am new to the forum and am not sure if i've posted this in the right place!

maps??? that is pretty hard. i am actully doing we're going on a bear hunt this week and we are doing a story map but obviously that is linked to literacy. you could do coordinatates where you draw a map that the bears took or children have to give each other positional language to get from one lpace to the next following the persons instructions. However that is still very hard. im actualy being observed next week on maths- 2d shapes if you want me to email it over to you. i know its not about maps though- but there is not a specific objective related to this- think maps is for a higher year grooup x x

Not sure about the map aspect but you could make a 'map' on the class floor (place objects in certain places and get them to navigate beebots from each object?) They would be using numbers and positional language and lots of problem solving. Anyway good luck!!!!

Thanks to you all for welcoming me. The observation date has been changed to next week, Mon, so I will may change the focus. It will be a whole class activity at first with the children sitting on the carpet and then I will work through the groups.

maps??? that is pretty hard. i am actully doing we're going on a bear hunt this week and we are doing a story map but obviously that is linked to literacy. you could do coordinatates where you draw a map that the bears took or children have to give each other positional language to get from one lpace to the next following the persons instructions. However that is still very hard. im actualy being observed next week on maths- 2d shapes if you want me to email it over to you. i know its not about maps though- but there is not a specific objective related to this- think maps is for a higher year grooup x x

Thanks, I think I might change the focus. I would love to have a look at your lesson on 2d shapes my email is ............................... Good luck with your observation!

I have one idea that the children love to do. As a adult focused activity get the children to organise main props from the story in order, e.g. blue cloth for the river, mud for oozy mud, make trees for the forest etc.... then get the children to work in small groups together to organise the props in the correct order, role playing and using the language from the book. As a follow up get the children to do a visual map of what they have done, drawing a small picture then the arrows showing the sequence of the story.

hope may kick off some more ideas for you! Good luck...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)