Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rubella And Pregnancy...

Hello

Just wondering what you would do in this situation?

A member of staff may (may not) be pregnant, one of the children at the shool attached to our pre-school has had Rubella (she has a brother in our pre-school) This member of staff is unsure if she can come into work next week, but Rubella is spread 7 days before any signs of the illness so she will already have been in contact with her brother and maybe her in this time.

She asked if we should suggest the younger brother stays off for this week until we are sure he hasn't got it (another mum is also pregnant so we need to protect her as well) Can we do this - our illness policy is very unclear and the chair is unsure what to do too!

Hope thoughts would be a great help!

I found a good guidance poster from the Health Protection Agency HERE

For German Measles (Rubella) it states exclusion from setting for 5 days from onset of rash. Any pregnant person to seek advice from GP.

Peggy

My son recently had slapped cheek and I was advised by my GP that this virus can also cause problems for pregnant women, which I never knew. I notified my supervisor as we have a couple of pregnant mums at the moment but I was not asked to stay away from work.

I don't know how old etc. your member of staff is, but most people under about 40 should have had rubella immunisation at school aged about 13/14 - so she may well be protected. It is a problem for pregnant women if they have not been immunised though. Also - and I don't know how closely attached your schol and pre-school are but it is probably not that likely that she will have got anything as most children have had their MMR so it shouldn't spread like wildfire. I hope she is not too scared, if she is please reassure her my 4 year old had rubella (after he had had his MMR aged 13 months!!!!!) whilst I was pregnant and my now 14 month old baby is absolutely fine. Zoe.

it is true most will have been vaccinated BUT it does not guarantee it had any effect.. My sister had to continually be vaccinated as in her case blood tests showed it was only effective for a couple of years, and as has been said it is still possible to have rubella after vaccination with MMR,

that said I cannot see how you could exclude a child for being in contact with a case.. question to ask is was he vaccinated.

Inge

You cannot exclude a child just because he has been in contact with a case- imagine if he has siblings who come down with it- in theory you could have a child excluded for weeks.

I have to ask, if someone is that concerned about being in contact with Rubella why are they workng in this sort of job??

Sorry, dont mean to sound flippiant.

Lynne

also rubella, in particular, as well as other childhood illness are seen so seldom now that they are often misdiagnsed. Cant tell you how many times my GP said 'it could be Rubella' with my children.

I have to ask, if someone is that concerned about being in contact with Rubella why are they workng in this sort of job??

Sorry, dont mean to sound flippiant.

Lynne, the member of staff was only concerned beacuse she has been trying to get pregnant for a very long time and this time she really thought it worked as she was a few days late but hadn't done a test yet - she really didn't want to come in if it could put the baby at risk - as it turns out she did a test Sunday and she is not pregnant.

Zoe, the member of staff is in her 20's, she had the rubella immunisation but like you've already said research shows that the immunisation may only last a few years.

Both the boy in pre-school and the sister who had Rubella had not had the MMR jab and the school children have to come through our class room to go to theirs and all the children play out together so we mix a lot with each other.

Thanks for your replies. xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)