Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing Neg Funding

Hi there

just wondered if anybody had any experience of split funding for a child in reception. I'm a childminder caring for a child with developmental delay who is due to start reception in 2009 having only just turned 4. Her parents would like her to attend school part time and continue with me part time and I was wondering how I could be an advocate for them receiving some funding to do that. If I am aware that this has happened for other children in other authorities I may have better grounds to fight her cause on behalf of her parents.

It is my understanding (in our area at least) that if the child goes to school, then they will receive all of the child's funding and you will get nothing.

We had a child who was only going to go to school for two mornings a week and remain at pre-school for two mornings per week. However, we were told that the school would receive all of his funding, therefore the parent would have to pay for the child to remain with us - he went to school!

My understanding of NEG funding is the same as Brenda's, however maybe the parents could get funding for childminder fees from elsewhere. Is the child entitled to Disability allowance? Have you contacted NCMA, they may be able to give advice.

Good luck.

Peggy

Hi dcn - my understanding is the same as other people's - that if a school is involved then they attract all the funding. However, I do think that you have a very strong case to apply for some of the funding. It would be extremely good practice to be working in partnership with the school - and after all the EYFS emphasises the importance of partnerships and joined up working - so if I were you I would make some enquiries, talk to the parents and the school and see if you can set up a meeting to develop some kind of action plan?

I'll be extremely interested in how you get on. We have a child at our nursery with global delay who has stayed with us instead of starting school. At the moment we receive the funding because he doesn't attend school at all, but during a transition period, maybe we could look at doing something similar. Keep us posted!

Thanks for replies. I've been involved in some NEG network meetings where this issue has been raised. Now that the EYFS is in place is is it still fair that schools (or nurseries attached to schools) automatically get all the funding even if a child only attends part time?

I'll keep campaigning and let you know how it goes!!

I think schools getting all the funding is the same everywhere and is a condition of funding however under the 'Single funding formula for EY's', that LA's are looking into at present this will I imagine have to change. But as it doesn't come into force until 2010 doesn't really help any one now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)