Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mosaic Approach -tours

Hi

Has anyone used the Mosaic appraoch tool of "Tours" before.

I have to use this as my next activity with OU and just wondered if anyone has any good advice as I'm only at the setting two days a week.

How long does a tour generally take with a 3 year old children ?

Would it be good practice to do it with more than one child at a time?

Am I right in think the "tour tool" also allow's the use of a camera.

Sorry to be so vague, having not untook something like this before I wnat to ensure I get it right from the start with time so precious.

Sam

Edited by Guest

Hi

I did this as one of my TMA's for the OU I found the tour was quite easy to do, i also allowed the children to use a camera as part of the tour i used two children for my tour and i gave the children cameras and asked them to take pictures of 'important things'. The children took me on a tour of the nursery this can take any thing up to an hour depending on the childrens concentration and areas of interest, they drew their own maps of the setting and took pictures of areas of the nursery that where important to them, this with information gathered from previous observations, parents and my own knowledge built up a mosaic picture of childrens views on nursery life. Hope this makes sense if you need anything else feel free to message me.

How far into your reading are you?

The mosaic approach is a range of observational tools to enable you to make a judgement on learning. The tour you will undertake for (I'm guessing E215) will be just with one or two children - I'd use a small number as you'll get more sense! One child can clam up, but two will spark off each other. I'd do it twice if I were you, once taking them round with you talking and then again with them doing the talking.

In my experience it didn't work as well as I'd wanted because I fund that the children were so un-used to being asked to do things like this, but once i'd started again and done it myself first with another pair of children it went better.

Try to chose children who readily speak to you anyway (that may sound daft, but if they aren't naturally talkative then this will clam them right up!) and those with imaginations whom you have seen accessing their environment in an imaginative or thoughtful way.

Try not to put words into their mouths when you are doing your tour, eg. there are bears round this corner, as you will just get it parroted back at you as they will think that this is what you want to say. Try and explain how you have seen it being used, "Sue and Ian were running down here really quickly last week - I wonder what they were up to?" is better

If they take pictures on the tour you could print them out or put them on the computer to get some more information about their tour. Always useful.

Does this help at all?

Yes this sounds really helpfull advice.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and I already have in mind a few chatty children, that enjoy me being in the setting.

I'll post back and let you know how the tour has gone.

I've found my daughters camera so i'll let them loose wth it and see what happens.

Sam

Have you had a chance to look at Alison Clark and Peter Moss's books? Listening to young children. The mosaic appraoch is the first one, the second one is Spaces to play.More listening to young children the mosaic approach.

I had my first tutorial with Alison Clark this week which was very daunting, however she is a lovely person and very generous with her knowledge and skills.

I think the advice you have been given is pretty sound. You will really have to follow the children's lead and allow as much time as possible as you wont want to make them feel hurried or pressured.

I am very jealous as I am no where near that stage in my project, I can't wait to get on with all the fun bits that don't involved sitting infront of this computer!!!

Have fun

Have you had a chance to look at Alison Clark and Peter Moss's books? Listening to young children. The mosaic appraoch is the first one, the second one is Spaces to play.More listening to young children the mosaic approach.

I had my first tutorial with Alison Clark this week which was very daunting, however she is a lovely person and very generous with her knowledge and skills.

I think the advice you have been given is pretty sound. You will really have to follow the children's lead and allow as much time as possible as you wont want to make them feel hurried or pressured.

I am very jealous as I am no where near that stage in my project, I can't wait to get on with all the fun bits that don't involved sitting infront of this computer!!!

Have fun

Thanks

Yes the book has final arrived, the first one. Whats the second one like.

And you have a tutorial with this lady, how lucky are you. Whats the course your doing.

I did some tours on Monday, although I did not think they had gone too well at the time on reflection there is a great deal of evidence there.

Sam

Hi

Yes I've drawn mine to scale using smartdraw it allows a 7 day free down load and showed it to my tutor on sat, she agreed it was fine but could enlarge to A3 to make it easier as it allow us to do that as long as it is only on one side.

How's it going for you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)