Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Observations And Parents

Hi - everyone . I am after some help !!!

We are well under way with our Learning Journey Books and have a space on our observation sheet for Parents views and feedback . I am just wondering if anyone has a sort of explanation of observations for parents and what they are and why we do them, what CLL, PD......ect all are . Than you in advance for sharing _Lizzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

There is some really useful information on the EYFS website and/or disk regarding parents observations. Another great place to look is birthtofive.org.uk which is my local school improvement service. There are some leaflets you can use to explain to parents about observations. I am wanting to know, however if anyone has a format for an observation sheet to provide for parents to record any observations they make. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cathy

Why do you want parents to make 'formal' observations? Our parents make notes in a notebook which goes backwards and forwards between us and home, parents and Key persons make notes on observations and development matters in there. We also jot down information from informal chats. I'm not sure (without wishing to sound patronising) whether parents could do observations without making unproven value judgements or interpretations?

Why do you want parents to make 'formal' observations? Our parents make notes in a notebook which goes backwards and forwards between us and home, parents and Key persons make notes on observations and development matters in there. We also jot down information from informal chats. I'm not sure (without wishing to sound patronising) whether parents could do observations without making unproven value judgements or interpretations?

That's how do ours. We don't have the diary but we note down information given by informal chats on the door etc. I wrote on the learning journey sheets as a sample of what information could be put on there. I thought that parents might find the sheets a bit scary to fill in. Other rooms which didn't send out these sample sheets have confirmed that they have a low number of replies. This does seemed to have helped although we do have a problem with the parents not sending them back, we don't think that some of them even look at them :o

it's likely that they don't - or (if ours are anything to go by) consider it 'your job'. I think it needs to look less formal or it can be off-putting.

Could you perhaps introduce something at a parent's meeting, or discuss the one you have, or - and this is what I've done - thank parents on the newsletter for the information they provide in the notebooks, stressing the importance of it and how it helps us to tailor learning opportunities for heir child. This sometimes makes more parents write things down for us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)