Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition To Reception

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who will please share their pro-forma for transition from Pre-school to Reception.

In the past we have written a 'leavers report' which included the 6 areas of learning..ELG's etc..but I am aware that this will now be slightly different to include EYFS...we are finding it hard to write anything EXTRA about each child as we now seem to write absolutely everything in their 'learning journey' folder including all evidence, photos etc..so what else is others finding to

write on the leavers report...?? Sorry if this doesnt make much sense...am totally puzzled!!

Thanks again to all of you for your continued support.

xx

We ask parents to come in before the children leave and go through their child's learning journey with them. We then pass the whole document to the next setting whether it be school or another childcare setting.We are on school premises so this makes the transition easier but even other schools appreciate the whole document to get a full picture of the child. I don't see the need for a leavers report in this case. Is this for parents or the next setting?

We have following the footsteps learning journeys from our these have been devised by our advisory teachers this transfers to school along with showing the childs experiencesz in all areas it has other information like home language, sen, special people in their life additional needs

There was a similar thread to this a little while ago - don't know how to do links yet.

However, we have the Development and Learning records which contain anecdotal evidence and photographs of children's progression through the ELGs. These belong to the parents when children leave.

What I pass to school is my cohort grid showing the progress of each child in the peer group going to a particular school. This grid simply lists the ELGs and as each is 'attained' they are dated. This shows areas yet to be attained, but emphasises the progress and what schools love to call 'value added' for each children over the course of their time with us.

Does this help?

I used to give a lot more, but ennui by the local school made me realise i was wasting my time and effort

As the learning journeys are a working document to take right through the foundation stage, is it not best that these go to school with the child so they can be added to rather than start a new one? Feedback from our foundation teachers has been very positive but I agree with Starburst, it would be interesting to hear a teachers view point on this.

well yes, ideally, and we used to send them on to school, but found out after doing this for about 8 years that they are put straight into a filing cabinet and never looked at, as the RT likes to start children afresh and make her own judgements. So, why consign such a valuable information-rich folder to such a rubbish end! Much better that parents have it and they can wave it at school staff later if they want to (and quite a few do!)

Speaking personally, I do find it most useful to have a short written couple of paragraphs to read on a child when they come up as that can tend to summarise all the important bits about a child. Their records are also really useful to have and I always look through carefully but depends on the setting how much of a 'feel for the child' you get. However I try to get out and have a chat to the pre-schools directly for most children as that does the job even better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)