Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe In Nursery

Hi everyone, hope all is going well at the start of the new year for you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anybody help? How many pe sessions per week is mandatoy in nursery and reception? We are a Britich school in Cairo, and would be grateful for either a site to look it up or your comments on this area in your schools.

Cheers

Boshbum

UMM not sure we have just had Ofsted inspection and they seemed happy with one session of what we call toddler aerobics, music and movement etc per week. I think as long as the children have acess to outdoor areas each day its fine, :D

Hi Boshbum -

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for joining the community! :D

It's always good to get a new member from outside the UK, provides lots of different perspectives even if you are following the Foundation Stage in your British school. I know someone was talking about setting up links between nurseries for penpal type and other exchanges. Would be especially good for discussing similarities/differences in climate and culture!

Anyway, to get back to the subject - sorry I can't help on this one! There's nothing obvious that springs out from a quick search of other sites either. So you'll have to wait for a member with more experience than me and I might as well stop now... :o

Welcome again - make yourself at home!

Hi Boshbum,

Welcome to the forum. :) I work in a playgroup so can't really help you with this one. My daughter goes to nursery and I know that they take them for one 'PE' session in the school hall each week. However, this isn't mandatory. As long as they are covering the curriculum during the year, which includes a variety of physical play and movement, then this is fine. It is really up to each setting to work out how they are going to cover this. Things might be different in reception though so I'll stand aside now. :D

PE is not mandatory within the Foundation stage as it is physical developemnt that is to be fostered through a range of outdoor and indoor equipment( and activities). I'm the nursry teacher in a small village school and we use the hall for PE twice a week. During this time, we usually engage in ring games, cds (sticky kids- the chidlren just love it)moving to music and balancing and ball throwing skills. Initally (like now) the chidlren go into the hall to just enjoy the space to move around and enjoy themsleves. I expect children to 'find a safe space' and keep their eyes and ears open but their mouths closed when moving around the room.They love to pretend 'zipping it up'.

Oh yes and parachute games.

in the summer we use the outdoor for PE. My chidlren still have daily access to outdoor play. I use the hall as it gets the chidlren used to being part of 'big school' and makes them feel important!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)