Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing Information

I should use the introduction of the EYFS and its emphasis on partnership working and sharing information as the reason for approaching them - maybe quote a bit of stuff from the Principles into Practice cards -and go from there. Explain a bit about your setting and how you work and invite them to a meeting where you can share ideas and work out how to go forward.

I think it's a great idea - there's another thread going at the moment about a childminder suggesting a similar intiative with other settings that her children attend and she's had a very positive response to her first approaches. If I was clever I'd give you a link to the thread..but I'm not! :o Maybe someone else can help with that??

• 2 months later...

:o

Im looking at contacting another day nursery where two of my children also attend to introduce my setting and discuss sharing any relevent information - does anyone have any ideas how I should write this and what to put in it??

Thank you

I am wondering the same. We really should be contacting the other Settings and Nursery's as we have 6 children who have split funding. I wonder why no one has contacted us either- not even the local council run Nursery's. We are not sure what to do .Can you imagine having meetings with 6 different settings? It will take up such a lot of time and where will the money come from to pay the staff??Has anyone any thoughts/ideas??

Regards Bev

I have contacted my 'other setting' 3 times, once face to face and twice via parents. Still nothing. They are the child's primary educator - by that I mean that the children go there every morning, and they get the NG funding. The two children come to us a couple of afternoons a week. I believe that in this instance the onus is on them to contact me really, but I have tried!

We have had some success and some failure. I think the success really only came about because there was a change of leadership at the other setting. However our parents have also let us down. One commented the other day that she didn't have time to fill in the Homelinks diary as she had another four children at home and three needed help with their homework which took priority. I can symapthise to an extent but what value does this put on the child in our care?

I've given the parents of my "shared children" a letter explaining that we have to do this and why and also for the name and contact detaails of the other setting/childminder. I've also asked them to sign giving us permission to do so. I intend to contact other settings and set up a book/diary as a link between us, as parents will act as couriers it's important to get them on side. Thought I had it on this laptop but no, I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow when I get to work

I realise that liasing with other settings that children may attend is part of the EYFS but would be interested to hear if anyone has any sort of 'process' that is working.

We have just received a letter from another setting in relation to a child who attends our setting for four sessions a week and the other setting for one session.

The letter is short and says they have obtained parental permission to contact us and enclose a form to 'enable us to share XXXXX's learning'

The form is six boxes, one for each area of learning with each box split into two halves headed 'strengths' and 'weaknesses'.

I embrace the idea of sharing but do not like the format of the form. There is no indication in the letter to say what reciprocal (if any) information they are willing to share. It almost appears as a 'gaining information' exercise as opposed to initiating any sort of working partnership or sharing in the true sense of the word.

Having said that, it is more than we have done as we have yet to contact other settings but it relates to very few children and is currently an area that is under discussion as to how to do it so that the child actually benefits from any exchange/sharing information.

ANy thoughts welcome

What a bizarre - sounding form! Sounds about as useful as the coloured in caterpillar (one circle for different things she could do) my child brought home at the end of her time in Nursery!