Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small World Ideas Needed

apple

hi there everyone

we are trying to develop our small world boxes. We have got lots of dinosaurs and wondered if anyone out there could think of suitable equipment to go with them on a table top. Also we've got lots of jungle/safari animals and would welcome ideas for these too.

We've thought of bits of rock and logs but want to create a bit more of an exciting play set up. The animals on their own just seem to encourage lots of roaring and fighting :o (that's the plactic animals not the real ones :D)

look forward to your ideas once again

Liza

Sometimes I set the dinosaurs up on the table at different levels using boxes set at different heights and covered with a cloth.This gives a different dimension I use old duvet covers or greengrocers grass I have used shells, stones,a mirror and non poisonous plants to add interest.

We often make the small world play a big group activity for our topic. So depending on our theme we will make a small world scene on one of the tables. We sellotape large sheets of paper to the table and paint sea, lakes, sand and grass etc for the base. We sometimes use actual sand and other materials such as fabric or tissue paper. We use boxes and papier mache to make rocks and hills, make kitchen roll and tissue paper trees, and use pebbles and logs etc. It usually takes about a week or so to make with all the children having a hand in it and we like to involve them in what is actually going on it. We have done scenes for the farm and zoo animals recently. So you could do something similar for your dinosaurs.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Dinosaurs in the sand,

not quite sure what its called but the large black plastic mixing trays that builders use are great for creating sand landscapes on for a variety of uses, such as dinosaurs, cars and diggers they can be used inside or out and children can really get into the sand so small members of the group can join in equally.

good ideas but how would you use the ongoing developement over a week if you had to pack up and put away everthing at the end of each morning? That is the most frustrating thing.

This week I have emptied the sand out of the tray and added leaves and twigs. We added the dinosaurs on Monday morning, and as it was a new texture for the children they loved it, squashing and crunching the leaves etc. In the afternnon we added a shallow tray of water and some rocks. This became the lake where the dinosaurs drank, swam bathed etc.

This morning I asked the children what else we could add, they suggested a swamp, and so together we made a brown muddy cornflour gloop swamp in a deep bowl. (the tray was still full of leaves etc) The children had a ball making the dinos stomp in the swamp, go to the lake and wash, return to the swamp etc....

This afternoon we added nursery made trees too, and laminated cards to match and try to name types of dinosaurs.

We linked this to an adaptation of the "Wheels on the Bus"

where the dinosaurs all go stomp, stomp, stomp

all around the swamp

(triceratops horns go spike, spike, spike etc

Pteradactyls wings go flap, flap, flap etc.

Diplodocous jaws go munch, munch, munch)

We did this during a movement session this afternoon, and again before hometime. The children have all gone out of the door singing the song.

Tomorrow, after speaking with the children, we are going to try and make a volcano (I am thinking red water and water pumps set in a couple of large bowls with "rocks" placed around to disguise them.

After that there will be a day of tidying ( helping to wash dinos, cleaning tray for new activity) and then there is a day of dino digging in the sand, I have made salt dough bones for the children to excavate and try to build a somethingsaur. They can stick them onto sandpaper too if they want (I have hundreds of small bones) They will use sieves, tongs, tweezers and small brushes to excavate the bones.

Hope this is of some benefit to someone, so far the reasults have been fab, linked to stories and songs and movement.

Jan

great ideas jambo impressed,

we made volcanos using a small plastic bottle with some bicarbonate of soda in the bottom and red food colour, pour in white vinegar and watch. (i have been told it works with lemon juice from a bottle too, and is less smelly, but the smell is always part of it) make sure the surface is well covered or do it in the water tray.

Children cann't get enough of this one -

wow Jambo that's just thing I'm looking for!

Alison, our nursery has just bought one of those builder's trays and I think it was fairly inexpensive (I'm going to say pretty please to the head next week and see if we can get one for Reception). This will save us tipping the sand out of its tray and trying to find somewhere to put it in the meantime :o

I love too the idea for the volcano Inge. I've seen it in books but never had the opportunity to do it, so the dinosaur experience will be just right. We are going on a trip to the local woodlands on Monday so we'll be able to collect lots of materials to add to the swamp environment.

Thanks everyone you're an inspiration xD

We have a very old plastic Christmas Tree which we have broken down into smaller pieces which we give the children to use in the sand with the small world toys.

There is a book of ideas by Sally Featherstone on how to use the builders tray - not got a copy yet but heard it is very good.

Guest JudithU

The builders trays are fantastic. I have bought four for my Reception class. One for sand, dirt etc (usually outside), one for paint, soap etc (art activities)one for display( at the moment it has a cardboard tree (3D) with autumn leaves (real) underneath and one for cooking. (Great for making bread!) Not badly priced either!

Guest JudithU

I got the school caretaker to get mine at Wickes. I think you can get them at B&Q or maybe Homebase? The ones from Wickes were about £12-13. :o

Guest diannej

err, try this if you go to the TTS site..shoponline..early steps..small world... product code TUFF for one or TUFF3 for a pack of 3.

I ordered some recently for mundia, and it all worked fine.

Dianne

I have tried several times but just keep getting an error message. How did you manage it Susan?? Went to B&Q this afternoon, only a small branch, and they didn't have any. I think I'll try the warehouse tomorrow.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)