Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Twins Under Age

hali

Hi there

Can anyone help (im sure you can)!!!!

Ive just had a lady on the phone with 2yr old twins who is desperate for some time away her little ones a few times a week. She would like them to come to my nursery as we have been highly recommended!!!!

On my registration the big 'O' states we caonly take from 2 1/2 yrs, the lady says that her H.V is willing to write a referral for the twins....

Am i able to help her out???

was going to ring Early Years in the morning..

should i go direct to Ofsted?

has anyone else had dealings like this?

Thank you in advance..... :D:D:D:D

How close are they to 21/2? We let an 18 month stay this week, only for 10 mins while mom did something, officially it's not allowed but I think we are there for the whole family not only the child. The big O would no doubt be outraged but I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. If you dont charge a fee for the twins that could make a difference I suppose, they are there just under your care with mom's agreement and HV recommendation. Leave it for now I'll phone O tomorrow with same request. They wont be able to trace it back to you then. :D

I'm with Bubblejack on this one Hali. I would get in touch with Ofsted yourself and make sure it's ok to take them. If they say yes then fine but if it's no then at least you can tell their mum that you have tried. I would also get in touch with your insurance company even if Ofsted say yes just to make sure that you are not invalidating your policy.

Linda

Hi Girls, sorry, I wasn't been 'flip'. I dont regularly break the rules or encourage others to do so. I just think that sometimes rules get in the way of sense. If this mother has been adviced by HV to have some time to her self, then the twins could be at risk of emotional abuse. We all know how smothering it can be to have a toddler around us at home all day, ( 2 must be worse) and if by offering mom some QT that makes her a better parent then, with letters and consent from mom, bending the rules would'nt necessarily be a bad thing. I do firmly believe that we are there for the whole family. A shoulder to cry on, a source of advice, somewhere to sit with friendly adults over a coffee. How about as a compromise, mom stays untill the twins are 21/2? Get her CRB done. She could help prepare the snack, join children in the outdoor area, be in charge of the notice board and displays. I know that's not a complete answer to mom's problems but still a kind of break for her. The insurance wouldn't be an issue then. Sometimes it's just a case of needing another adult to talk to, to remind ourselves that we are still 'us' and not only 'mom'. We recently had a student from the local secondary school with us on work experience, she's 15 years old and 4 months pregnant. If at some time she comes to us for a bit of respite, I will do everything I can to help her. :)

:D Thank you Rea :D and others know you wernt being flip and i appriciate what you say...

As i say i will call Early Years today and see what they say... i realise about my insurance have already told mum about that...

Thank you all again will let you know later what is said. :D

I totally agree with you Rea that we are there for the whole family and that sometimes the rules are a nonesense. And I really don't think you were being flip in what you said. But, I do feel that most of the rules are there to safeguard us as well as the children and I really don't feel that they should be "bent".

How far off two and a half are they Hali? Does mum take them to toddler groups? Perhaps there is another parent at your pre-school who would be able to help her out by going with her to such groups and so give her a bit of a break that way. This would be good especially if she doesn't have any support, such as family and friends, locally.

Linda

Rang early years who were no help at all....so decided to ring Ofsted lady was lovely and actually informed me that my setting was registered from 2yrs (news to me) :o ...

She did advise however that i contact outr insurance company to chk that out so have got chairperson onto the case, again thank you Rea for your imput. :D

Good news then Hali! Even better than you thought. So now you can take them in and not have to worry.

I have to admit we are not taking them at two, far too young I think, and have managed to even avoid 2 1/2 year olds. We are still on 2 years 9 months. But at least we know that we can do if we feel there is a special case. I always ask for a covering letter from either the family GP or the health visitor even to admit a 2 1/2 year old just in case other parents start asking questions and want their child admitted early.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)