Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eal Children

Can any one help me, we have quite alot of EAL children at the moment and our biggest problem is that they don't start until they get their grants. Most have only just arrived from India the week before they start. We then have them for 4/5 months and then the parents take them back to India for an extended holiday. usually anything from a month to 6 to 8 weeks. During that time we have to adjust all our funding because our LA won't pay for that length of time. They often don't give us much notice and they won't pay to keep the place open.

We tell them we can't guarantee a place and we don't even try to keep it for them, but I loose out on Funding, just when I think I've got lots of sessions filled I'm then stuck and have sessions empty.

I know its nice for them to go home but it is causing us lots of financial problems.

Just wonder what any one else does or are we the only ones to have this problem/

Does any one have a LA that pays to keep the place open?

Its ok for the schools as they get their funding regardless of whether the child is there for the whole term.

Would love to hear what any one else does

Steph

I dont think ours would, not if we said the child was away for that amount of time. We have had this happen a couple of times, but both times we weren't told until after fees/funding was paid and it has never occurred to me tell our LA, I suppose because it was for only a few weeks. Can you not get them to sign a contract before they start stipulating fees will be paid in leiu of notice (not that always works either!!) although not sure if you can do this or enforce it for funded children. Sorry not much help am I, apart from good at waffling!!

Thanks lynned55

I do have a contract that they sign to say they will pay fees for holidays but they effectively say that they are stopping coming and then tell me they will be back and if I have a space they re register.

There is no way around it. We have tried to find a way out but as the parents won't pay and nor will the LA we are stuck.

I have had 3 new children this week all start and then tell me that some time next year they will go home for holidays for a few months.

I am trying to get our LA to cover at least half the costs as a retainer to keep the place for them.

Ours dont pay either..... Ok for 2 or 3 weeks but no longer... we do as you do.. and cannot guarantee a place.. and we have in fact often filled the place when they return... so they get less or no sessions........

Have had one willing to pay recently when they went back for Mum to have a baby....we charged a much reduced retainer.. but we had very low numbers at the time.....

Cannot see any way around this.. happens for the Polish children as well ....

Inge

Yes I have Thai children as well as Polish. I do understand how they feel as when I lived abroad we came home for doctors and various things. I have spoken to our LA today and they are maybe going to look into extending the 2 week holiday as it is for good reasons that they go home and that as long as they return to the same provider they might consider it.

Will keep you all updated

Steph

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)