Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent /keyperson Meetings

Hi

Just wondered how you made your individual parent meeting work for you? Do you ask certain questions? Seems a good time to me to get to know parents more, ask about child at home etc. Do you say Jonny does this and that (which Im sure they may already know??) Never done any before so not really sure of the format (will obviously speak to supervisor but not in until Fri!). Only thing is that these have to take place during the session (comm wont pay for us to do it any other time)...so not the most relaxing of things.

Thanks for info (as usual! :oxD:( )

we tend to chat to parents when we or they feel it necessary, usually when dropping off or collecting, either asking them to stay a few minutes or come early to collect.. they are informal chats about what we are doing and parents then tend to put in and add their own things about child ...( but we do tend to know a lot of our parents well already.. having 4 siblings from a family come though is not unusual, and returns after a break too..)

Often not long but can be on almost a weekly basis.. key person ensures they talk to parent regularly, we are very informal and parents like the way we do this, very friendly and we do find they will approach us about things, ask for advice etc.. but we do have a very chatty staff! All willing to talk to parents and confident in doing so... and parents will approach all..

These can be and often are recorded in the child's learning diaries, and parents sign if they wish to.. we try to show parents who have not asked to see the diary once a term, giving them time to sit and read them before discussion if they want to.

our poor student is now finding parents want to discuss things with her as well, and she is still in the 'lets gain a confidence stage...' she is with us for a year at least so will get there with time....

Inge

Our nursery has "Stop and Chat" weeks, twice a year, when parents can sign up for a convenient time to stop and chat with their child's keyperson. This time we're including an evening slot, to accomodate working parents a bit more than before. These chats are obviously in addition to the daily snippets of information that we exchange with parents/carers as and when we can!

we do pretty much the same as Wolfie, bringing the learning story to the chat and going through additions and progress since last time, its held either at the beginning of the session or at the end whatever suits the parent.

We do more or less the same as Wolfie and Freda, we advertise that each key person will be holding more formal sessions to speak to their children's individual key person and the parents make an appointment for beginning or end of session (plenty of notice given to parents to allow those that work enough time to plan ahead).

We fill in a half termly report on each child (not huge and mainly personal observations on child's progress and invite parents to make a comment on the bottom and sign and date.

I am looking into sending the childs 'scrap book' (not their observation books) home with each child for parents to view and make comments on. I worry how many I will get back, how many will simply vanish.

Does anybody else have any experience of this and how do they do it? I will be grateful for any comments recieved.

thanks Debbie

We have a formal parents evening, but next week for the first time! we are having 'drop in sessions' all week where parents get the chance to see their child's key person and hopefully stay for a while to get involved in some of the activities on offer.

Will let you know how it goes! :o

we have had the same dilemma. 45 children 5 staff 2 new and not so confident. me suppose to me confident but do not like having to speak to the parents i get all flustered and dont know what to say. i went to my daughters first parents eve at shcool 2mins talking about how she settled. i already new this. got me thinking about playgroup. we decided to do a report. breifly what we had observed in all areas of learning with a parents comments box on the back. went down really well comments really positive. will do again feb and may with pre shool having school transfer record in July.

angela

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)