Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Anyone Help !

Hi

I was wondering if there was anyone who could advise what course or training I could do next ?

Unfortunately I have just finished at my local preschool (where I was the supervisor)as I felt that I was not qualified enough to do the job. I had been there for five years employed at first as an assistant, then deputy and finally the supervisor. I gained experience but not real training I only ever went on one training course and first aid the whole time I was an assistant and deputy ! I went to college and did the diploma in Preschool practice but that was five years ago and I feel that I have not developed professionally.

I would really like to continue in early years but I need to acquire the knowledge, understanding and also gain ICT and management skills so I could fulfil a role as a supervisor.

I really miss working with the children !

I have looked into courses at my local colleges but you need to be employed at a setting and currently I am not, so not sure what to do. I am also an older person and only have five 'O' levels or the equivalent, which doesn't include maths or english. But do have two level three qualifications and did go on Senco, safeguarding children and EYFS training in the last year.

I hope someone can point me in a direction because I feel a bit losted and down at the moment

Motherclanger, I'm sorry you feel so down and lacking in 'qualifications, all I can say is that in my experience 'experience' is underestimated and much more valuable than it is given credit for.

Myself I was similar to you, but less qualified originally. I moved from assistant to supervisor, my first training being the 'certtificate in preschool practice.' Now I'm going back a few years but this was basically an introduction course. I then gained experience and from this I went straight into a level 4 course, the ADCE. (Advanced Diploma in Childcare & Education)

As you haven't got a full time position at the moment why not consider voluntary work in a setting (or at least part time work)and go for either the Foundation degree or the EYPS. (depending of course if you can afford to study and volunteer). Not sure if settings get funding for volunteer candidates :o

You will be amazed at what you actually know through your experience, don't underestimate your knowledge and abilities.

The FD and/or EYPS are the qualifications (or status as in EYPS) which will open doors for managerial, plus many other roles.

If you go down the EYPS route you can always gain your GCSE's as you go. xD

Peggy

Thanks Peggy the for reply !

I always feel alot better when I read your what you have to say, you have such reasuring and sound advice. The only trouble is I have to find me a job ! Easier said than done in a rural area, its a pity there isn't a qualification you can do at college where they find the placement for you !

I have been thinking about the foundation degree for a while now, just not sure i'm up to it ! Especially with the written work but I do like a challenge if achieveable !

When I ran my preschool I had close links with the FE colleges and Adult Ed centres in my area, sometimes being able to offer placements, even jobs. So it's worth asking your colleges as they may have links with settings, which would also hopefully be of good quality if 'known' by the college.

Doing any further study is a bit scary, but just think, what if you don't do it now, will you look back and regret not doing it, now is the time when FE is so greatly funded and supported now.

Have you any friends who may want to start studying with you? Or maybe consider OU?

Good luck with a job / placement hunt, the EY's needs people like you who has hands on experience and who has worked through the many changes the field has experienced, thus enabling a true understanding of how the EY ethos has evolved over the years.

Peggy

I have been thinking about the foundation degree for a while now, just not sure i'm up to it ! Especially with the written work but I do like a challenge if achieveable !

Hi Motherclanger

I didn't reply to this before because I'm not really feeling very positive about my own situation at the moment and thought I probably wasn't the best person to offer advice! xD

There are various pathways to EYPS, including a full time pathway (although this is probably aimed at those without much experience and I can see that you've got bags of that!). I wouldn't discount EYPS out of hand: as Peggy says you are understimating what you already know and what you can do because you appear to be feeling quite low at the moment. You'll be amazed at how EYPS will restore your confidence and self esteem and will actually reinforce what a good practitioner you are as you get to grips with the standards.

So I'd say do a bit of marketing locally: write to possible groups and tell them how fantastic you are, that you want to do your Foundation Degree and need a position in a setting who will support you to gain the qualification. There is funding available because the CWDC have their deadlines for an EYP in every full day care setting by 2015 (or something like that) very much in the forefront of their mind. In order to hit that target they need to persuade willing Level 3 qualified practitioners to undertake the necessary study, so I'd also ask your local authority what support they are prepared to give you.

The Foundation Degree will consolidate what you already know, open your eyes to study at a higher level and your practice will really improve as a result of your new learning. I can't recommend it highly enough - I learned so much about both the job and about myself. Then you can (if you have got the studying bug by then!) do the top up to BA and EYPS at the same time or the BA followed by short pathway to EYPS whichever is most suitable for you. You have so many options open to you - the tricky thing is deciding which path is right for you and finding the best way to go about getting there!

Any setting would feel lucky to have you: when you think about the kind of commitment you're prepared to make and the investment of time and effort for the setting's behalf as well as your own, I'm sure they'll bite your hand off. I manage a rural pre-school and I know I would! :o

Do let us know what you decide, won't you?

Maz

Thanks Maz for your reply, you make me feel that its worth staying in early years !

I haven't yet decided what path I will take, but if I do stay I need to find a job or placement first and then go from there.

I think even if I do go from yearly years my heart will always be there !

I would still stay a member of the forum as I have gain alot of knowledge and had many good chuckles. Its good to know your not alone, and when your feeling down someone will come along and make you feel much better !

Thanks to everyone !

Hi

I was wondering if there was anyone who could advise what course or training I could do next ?

Unfortunately I have just finished at my local preschool (where I was the supervisor)as I felt that I was not qualified enough to do the job. I had been there for five years employed at first as an assistant, then deputy and finally the supervisor. I gained experience but not real training I only ever went on one training course and first aid the whole time I was an assistant and deputy ! I went to college and did the diploma in Preschool practice but that was five years ago and I feel that I have not developed professionally.

I would really like to continue in early years but I need to acquire the knowledge, understanding and also gain ICT and management skills so I could fulfil a role as a supervisor.

I really miss working with the children !

I have looked into courses at my local colleges but you need to be employed at a setting and currently I am not, so not sure what to do. I am also an older person and only have five 'O' levels or the equivalent, which doesn't include maths or english. But do have two level three qualifications and did go on Senco, safeguarding children and EYFS training in the last year.

I hope someone can point me in a direction because I feel a bit losted and down at the moment

Hi there Motherclanger (great name)!

Please don't despair! It sounds as if you are incredibly well qualified! I'd maybe find out who your County Council's Early Years Advisor is as well as your PLSA advisor and see what they come up with, but also I'd be considering volunteering my time at a setting so that you can access the training that is available (as a volunteer you shoud be able to access training and should be able to walk away easily if you don't like the setting or find it doesn't fit in with your lifestyle) - perks of volunteering eh!

I'm sure others on the forum will have much more help here, I don't recall seeing your name before - I've been away from the forum just recently so please forgive if I am wrong - anyway, hello and welcome :-)

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)