Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bonfire Night Food...

Hello!

I'm wanting to do some cooking/food preparation with my Nursery children, but I can't find any recipies suitable!

I wanted to do something Autumy/Bonfire nighty... but the only thing that springs to mind is toffee, and i'd like to be a bit healthier than that!

Another issue is that we don't have a cooker... we've got a microwave, a hot water boiler... and a fridge. Oh, and a toaster!

Does anyone have any ideas of what we can cook?

xx

How about small jacket potatoes cooked in the mircowave. You let them cool so the children don't burn themselves and then they can add allsorts of healthy toppings e.g cheese, tuna homemade coleslaw. I've even made vegetable soup in the mircowave at the preschool I use to run.

hope this helps ?!

How about toasting bread over tealights? Sort of like toasting bread on a fire?

We did this once, you just cut up the bread into squares, and then put them on a skewer!

Really simple, but the children loved it.

And then we had it for snack :o yum!

Mrs Weasley xD

We are going to make sparklers using bread sticks dipped in melted chocolate then dipped in hundreds and thousands.Only thing is dont go to Asda for the hundreds and thousands as they dont do the tubs any more they just seem to have fancy kits with all sorts in. If the weather wasn't so foul here I would be trying Tesco or Morrisons

I'm going to try the sparkler idea - only using chocolate fingers. My other (not very healthy) suggestion is to make mini fires. Use a biscuit as a base, a marshmallow stuck in the middle using red icing; matchmakers broken, and stuck to build a pryamid over the marshmallow, again using the red icing, and lastly drizzle some red icing over the top of it all.

Ok, so sickly as anything - but the kids have fun, and yes all the matchmakers do fall over, and only about 1:20 look like fires - but my kids had immense fun making them.

Apples baked in the microwave?

Pinwheel sandwiches? made with a variety of fillings in different colours they make lovely "Catherine Wheels" and lots of rolling, the bread flat before filling, rolling and cutting. Messy fun!

You could also make cornflake crunch, marshmallow crispies or refrigerator cake if you do the melting in the microwave.

Nona

Apples baked in the microwave?

What an evocative image - I can smell the baked apples we made at this time of year at school: I loved making them even though I couldn't bear eating the dead fly things we had to stuff them with!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, nona! :o

Maz

Know what you mean, Maz - yuk!

I've seen recipes which use breadcrumbs & golden syrup as a filling instead - and I think I may experiment with breadcrumbs and chocolate spread....... :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)