Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forest Schools

Rufus

Hi all

Yesterday I went to Chesterfield for a Forest schools taster day run by archimedes. It was incredible, I felt so passionate about it that I cried.

So i go back to school today all fired up and wanting to make big changes but my head doesn't seem very interested and doesn't really understand the ethos and importance of forest school.

Archimedes were so brilliant and they really emphasised the fact that Forest school is not simply taking children outside to do activities, but an ethos, a way of thinking and something that needs a lot of training and imput for it to be dleivered properly. With the child always central to everything.

Now here lies the problem. Ideally i would love to train with archimedes and experience this holistic appraich and training to nurture my forest school interests but they only do term time training.

My head probably won't allow me to have 2 weeks off school and they can't afford to pay for it.

So if I pay for it (which I can just about do) I will have to do it on weekends. I have found Greenlight trust and they do weekend training but I know nothing about them.

Has anyone had any training with The Greenlight Trust, or know someone that has?

Can anyone compare and contrast it to Archimedes?

I just don't want to go for the Greenlight trust training if it is going to be less substantial, do you get me? Am I rambling? :o

I haven't been to any of their trainning but they have had contact with them at school through the community woodland project. They do seem very good and from what I have seen the trainning wouldn't be a watered down version.

Elfy

x

Forest schools are fab - but we have a whole LA commitment to it and have rolled out training in cohorts. Our coordinators are now trainers in their own right so ours is very much in house. The impact is great and our HTs are loving it too.

I'm curious why you would be sent on CPD if it isn't part of your school development plan or there are plans to DO something with the info you find out - otherwise it's rather a waste of your time isn't it??

Cx

Edited by catma

I'm curious why you would be sent on CPD if it isn't part of your school development plan or there are plans to DO something with the info you find out - otherwise it's rather a waste of your time isn't it??

I was just wondering the same thing. If your head teacher isn't interested and you feel so passionate about the forest schools initiative I think that perhaps you might be setting yourself up for so much heartache. Unless you feel so committed that you are looking to change your job and see this course as an investment in your future, and this will help you get a job where you can put this new knowledge into practice, of course!

I'd love to hear more about the course though: where did you go and how much did it cost? :o

Maz

I have been interested in forest schools for a few years and asked for the day off to go on this taster day. There is money in the budget to allow staff to have about 2 days a year. My Ht doesn't know anything about Forest schools so wasn't in any position to say "is this useful, is it relevant" and is fully supportive of her staff and what they want to do ( to an extent and usually budget based, as most heads - so many pressures and money juggling).

In my mind I would love to develop FS in our school as we have an attaching woodland area but mainly I want to do it with a view to moving over to this area of teaching. Training as an FS teacher would enhance my Early years practice but I can also plan ahead with it and think about other things that i want to do.

Taster day was free and you can book it on the archimedes website.

So perhaps some more people from your school need to go on the taster day: if your head is open minded and supportive of new initiatives you could really make a big difference to your school's FS provision.

It would be an awful shame to lose this enthusiasm!

Maz

In one school I support the children go to forest school on a weds and i I'm in there on a tues ALL they can talk/write/sing/draw about is their excitement at tomorrow being weds!!!!

We have seen real impact on our EYFSP outcomes, practitioner practice and pedagogy and are currently analysing our data to unpick this. If you could get some data from your archimedes people about real impact on outcomes and present a case in terms of what forest school means for children nationally e.g. against ECM, boys attainment etc and match this to your areas of need they may be more inclined to listen?? School budgets are really about investing in things that make a difference to children - if they don't then there's no value for money really so I can understand the HTs hesitancy.

A forest school is a whole school commitment and there has to be willingness to embrace it not just in FS. In fact a couple of our teacher leaders are doing Forest schools right through their KS1 because the benefits have been felt to be so important for those children. But without HT, SMT, premises manager support, money for the development of your area possibly, the wet weather gear/wellies, storage for same, the resources for the sessions (who's buing the hot chocolate????), the guaranteed adult support to take the group so the ratios are right, it will be a thankless task.

Sound like a bit of a killjoy note to end on but making a case in terms of impact on children's learning/welbeing could be a positive next step.

Cx

I am going doing a one day course on forest schools in nov, can't wait. There is a woodland area within walking distance of the school but in our grounds we have an environmental area that isn't really being used so I am hoping to develop this area, the pond needs to be revamped, there is a nice growing area and I am hoping to incorporate our quiet area and willow dome into this area. I know it won't be a forest school but I feel I can cover the 6 areas of learning in this area - I am going to call it wellie Wednesdays - what do you all think?????????

I can't recall the exact guidance we give but i know it's not 1:30!! Several of our schols have their space in public parks so they definitely need to have more adults. I'll loook it up on monday!!

Cx

Thanks! When we go out for walks we have a 1:2 ratio but this is becoming more and more difficult to achieve and I'm really interested in how other groups manage!

Maz