Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Review Of Progress

Having spent the last three days putting into place what I hope is a simple, easy and effective way of tracking children's progress, putting observations up to date and filling in profiles and learning journeys, I am now wondering if everyone has done a review of progress to show parents how their child is doing, or is everyone waiting until the end of term to write reports?

I intend to give parents the learning journeys as they are at the moment, with the settling in period filled out and a couple of photographs, but wondered if there should be anything more.

I seem to have spent all my half term up to now doing school work, but if this works, then hopefully my weekends will be almost free.

That's the idea anyway :o

Would be interested to hear what others are doing or have done,

many thanks,

jackie.

Hehe, brilliant!

It sounds as if everything is well in hand. I think end of term is a practical suggestion and we'll certainly be aiming for that. I update leaning journeys once a week at least on hard copy and transfer this electronically about once a month with the photo alongside etc. I don't print these till the end of term to save paper, but parents can see the electronic version at any time and they know this. I save the full written report to parents until the end of the school year, or sooner if the child leaves before then. It's just the printed out learning journey file sheets that will be done for the end of term.

Hi jmb, I've moved your post to Observation, Assessment and Planning for Reception and Year 1 discussions, (guessng you are in a school). If you want me to move it to the preschool section Obs, assessment & planning, or anywhere else, let me know.

Sounds like you've got a good system and agree a review now may be too soon and also leave a presendence to feel the need to do a review every end of term, 6 times per year, I think is too much.

Do the parents have access tp the learning journeys on a daily/weekly/regular basis? If yes, then I think thats good.

Peggy

I have to confess, my parents haven't actually seen their learning journeys yet, as I was going to update them every half term, but I'm now hoping to update them each week, so they will be available on a Monday morning.

I've taken 141 photographs in to be printed today so will be sorting them over the weekend!

I must be the only one who thinks they have it sorted...but then doesn't, but think I'm getting there...slowly.

Thanks Peggy for putting it in the right place!

jackie.

I have done a little summary sheet for their learning journeys because we have parents' evening next week and I used to fill in the boxes in the old profiles after parents' evening. I have done them before so I know wI am going to say (or at least give me some idea!). Have also got children's comments on there - just something they like doing. Parents haven't seen their learning journeys yet, but will do so at parents' evening, when I will also explain that they can look at them whenever they want to. Was thinking about giving them to take home at parents' evening, but don't know if they will send them back!!

we had this dilemma. i am playgroup. we decided to do a report now but mostly about settling in etc. thought xmas was too long away and really busy. they are the first we have done. we wrote a few sentances in each of the 6 areas. will change this to one big box next time. we had a box to ask children about their likes and dislikes most found it difficult and the mostly when asked what do you like told me what they could see or what they were playing with so i think this is a bit difficult for pre school children. we had a comments box for parents to fill in and it will then go in their learning journal.

when will we do the next one? i am thinking feb half term then may half term with transfer records then summer for pre school children.

angela

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

In our setting, we have mini parents evenings straight after school every other Monday. We see three parents, and they book appointments with the office. During these meetings I share their Learning Journeys with the parents and the children help to show what they have been doing. It means we keep in touch on a regular basis, and as we only see three its not too heavy!!

Hope you find a solution that suits you. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)