Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs Inspection Guidance

Guest lucyevans

Thank you for this Lucy: very timely indeed! We've just received a letter from our Early Years warning us to get our SEF in order because Ofsted have started the new phase of no-notice inspections against the legal framework of the EYFS.

So just a little bit of extra work for me to do this half term!

Maz

I know this is in the nursery, pre school etc etc section but the heading will draw many in and I would like to caution all - there is a clear link on the ofsted front page to their guidance for registered provision - for the schools guidance you appear to have to track your way into their schools inspection guidance and the EYFS notes are part of the long list of additional documents found there. It took me about 1/2 an hour this week to locate it and it was very frustrating. Why they can't put it in with ALL the Early Years docs defeats me.

CX

I know this is in the nursery, pre school etc etc section but the heading will draw many in and I would like to caution all - there is a clear link on the ofsted front page to their guidance for registered provision - for the schools guidance you appear to have to track your way into their schools inspection guidance and the EYFS notes are part of the long list of additional documents found there. It took me about 1/2 an hour this week to locate it and it was very frustrating. Why they can't put it in with ALL the Early Years docs defeats me.

CX

Yes wish I had read yr post before searching, School nursery classes and reception classes still get inspected under the section 5 inspections so although have to meet the criteria in the ey inspection we still get the 2 days notice

I cant believe I have spent ages on the ofsted site reading various forms, I then spent ages on the sefs, this I felt could do with some improvement as they lump the eyfs altogether. I think they should have separate spaces for nursery and reception classes, as what if one of them is outstanding and one at a different level, it means you have to give an overall judgement, which is not really fair. So then when they come in and use the sef it is not actually correct information. Also both classes may end up having to improve or change something that already works excellently. Has anyone else commented on this?

Maybe it could be for the children in need event - fastest location of an Ofsted document.

Anyway - it's on this page here

I've left it as the whole list of docs - look about half way down the page. Other stuff may be of use.

Cx

Thanks for that link Catma. Makes interesting reading (well the bits I scanned anyway!). I'm going to print it off tomorrow to read at greater length!!

Thanks Lucy just when I convinced myself i would make it through half term without doing a single work related thing!! well I suppose I got through the weekend :o

I cant believe I have spent ages on the ofsted site reading various forms, I then spent ages on the sefs, this I felt could do with some improvement as they lump the eyfs altogether. I think they should have separate spaces for nursery and reception classes, as what if one of them is outstanding and one at a different level, it means you have to give an overall judgement, which is not really fair. So then when they come in and use the sef it is not actually correct information. Also both classes may end up having to improve or change something that already works excellently. Has anyone else commented on this?

Hmmm - I think that where there is a foundation stage of just one teacher it becomes very personal for them (no nursery, 1 form entry). They get the grading for FS whereas the rest of the school hide in happy anonimity. So I actually prefer the global evaluation and think that if there is such a disparity between F1 and F2 then actually something is wrong with the leadership an management so it can't be globally outstanding!! It is a judgement on outcomes for children in that setting after all.

Cx