Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It Time To Call It A Day

Do you ever feel like its time to call it a day?

Do you ever wonder if what you are diong is any good?

or do you ever feel like you are just totally rubbish at what you do?

I feel pretty bad about my job at the moment dont feel like i want to do it anymore, well not so much not wanting to do it as not very good at it , i spend my day worrying about sef's planning and wether we are meeting our childrens needs etc etc etc, and in between this i race around the nursery sorting out activities for staff and i am always ending up playing catch up.

Dont feel like im getting anywhere at the moment, feel pretty rubbish at this job.

jojom - I can completely understand where you're coming from. Do you have the support of a good team? Can you delegate some responsibility/authority or some of the workload? It sounds to me that (like me) you need to make some space in your day to think and plan rather than always running around after everyone.

The fact that you've made this post shows that you are good at what you do, and care enough about the children to want to improve your practice and reflect on what has gone well and what might be done better. Try not to focus so much on the latter: think about what is going well and celebrate it. That might help you remember why you do the job, and how much more you have to give.

Don't give up - your children need you!

Maz

I think we all have days/weeks like this.....

.... this week I swear if another member of staff asks me were something or other is kept I will not be responsible for my actions!!

It's been a long half-term, and with so many changes I think many of us out here are feeling a little demotivated, at the moment, but hang on in there, as Maz you're doing a good job - if you weren't you wouldn't be thinking about how bad you think you are - see, reflective practice - todays 'buzzword'!!!!!!!!

xxxx

It has been a long term..... I feel pretty much the same - have been off with sickness bug - went back yesterday and immediately had to deal with another child who had been sent in obviously ill! We're had continuing staffing problems and Im begining to wonder if its me personally! It seems more about paperwork or me these days and less about the children. SEF! Havent even started. Hopefully the coming half term will cheer us up .

smiles

Honestly you are not alone!

Previous threads make you realise that.

Some days are worse than others I am sure, its just trying to keep your chin up and let the moment pass

and when a really great thing happens...........

when a child conquers a task or shows awe and wonder at his / her work......

once agin you will remember why you do the job you do.

(For little pay and MEGA stress!!)

:o

It is so sad to read these posts but I believe we are all feeling the constant and consistent pressure on us, we all love our jobs and want to do our best but unfortunately it takes a team of like-minded people and not everyone wants to put as much in as some of us.

It becomes so frustrating when you truly believe in the provision you are offering and then struggle to get everyone on board, the demands of this job are becoming overwhelming. We have a local nursery desperate for a manager, they have been advertising for months and no-one wants the position.......sign of the times, I certainly don't want to go back to all that stress which is a shame because I have so much to give as a manager - I am heading for other options next year when I graduate.

Love to you all and lots of empathy coming at you all, don't forget this is a hard time of year as well, that is what I keep telling myself!

xx

How about get each member of staff to do 'a day in the life of jojom', I read about this idea on the forum in the past and tried it with my staff, it certainly opened their eyes to just a snippet of what it's like. Without all the paperwork, just the feeling of responsibility for 'managing' the children and staff for a day. The responsibility of register checks etc.

While another member of staff is doing your role, your job is to sit in the book area (or any other 'favourite' area of your preschool) and just play, all day, with the children. The only reason you are allowed to stop playing, is to have as many hugs as the children want to give you, because however much you feel about how good you are (or not), I bet (a million pound) that they think you are great. :o

Now why not start this role reversal trend NEXT WEEK, HAVE FUN. xD

Peggy

Shirl, you hit the nail on the head when you said 'overwhelmed'. I definitely feel that. Not helped by this stupid cold thing that's into its 3rd week and making me feel awful! (Moan over!)

Guest MaryEMac

I am also feeling overwhelmed. It hasn't helped by having a headache all week. It must be playgroup because I went on a leadership development course yesterday and the headache disappeared only to re-appear this morning at playgroup. Everyone I speak to is feeling the same and can't wait for a break. :o

Mary

How about get each member of staff to do 'a day in the life of jojom', I read about this idea on the forum in the past and tried it with my staff, it certainly opened their eyes to just a snippet of what it's like. Without all the paperwork, just the feeling of responsibility for 'managing' the children and staff for a day. The responsibility of register checks etc.

While another member of staff is doing your role, your job is to sit in the book area (or any other 'favourite' area of your preschool) and just play, all day, with the children. The only reason you are allowed to stop playing, is to have as many hugs as the children want to give you, because however much you feel about how good you are (or not), I bet (a million pound) that they think you are great. :o

Now why not start this role reversal trend NEXT WEEK, HAVE FUN. xD

Peggy

Your theory works Peggy.

I know because next week is my last week in Pre-school, yes. I am afraid it is all too much for me and I am giving up.

This week I have blown all the paperwork and have sat on the floor, played, laughed, been tickled, dressed up, been bandaged and made better, jumped on, cuddled the list goes on. I have had a lovely time. The best in a long time. The children seem happier too.

I was a play school supervisor in the 70's. We used to have an exercise book

for all the records that were needed. What has happened to the job, we are neglecting the children just so that we have records in tact on a shelf in the cupboard. From my experience the parents and the children just want our time and attention and it shouldn't be wasted on reams of paperwork that sometimes never gets looked at. I appreciate we have to have standards and development records but do we really need so many. Hands on good, safe, fun child care practice is what is needed not office skills and filing systems.

I will carry on next week enjoying my time left. It makes me really sad that I am leaving behind some really fantastic children but if things were different I know I would stay.

I am going to try and get a job as an assistant so that I can enjoy my job again and not have to worry about the paperwork. I don't mind key working but I just dont want to be an office assistant I did not come into this job to do that!

Don't forget to have fun with the children, it makes all the difference :(

thanks for your replies it helps to know others are feeling like this aswell.

Overwhelming is the correct term for this feeling and the deep responsability i feel for everyone children, staff and parents alike is sometimes such a heavy load to carry.

I do need a break i have not had any time off this year apart from 2 days earlier this year when Samantha was sick, but i cannot see any time off on the horizon in the near future.

Having said all this i know we all have our high and low points in our jobs and i will continue not let it out weigh the love and sense of achievement i hane for what i do.

Peggy i might try your suggestion next week

Jojom x

i wrote about three replies to this at 1am jojom, but didn't post any of them because i sounded so negative, i am not feeling much better today with three huge shopping bags of paperwork brought home to deal with,

but

i just wanted to say that i hope you had a better day today, and if not then hopefully on Monday something nice will happen that will make you smile and think........ yeah thats what its all about,

i just keeping telling myself that i have 5 days to get through til half term (the first one i'll have off in 4 years and my daughter is coming home from uni for a week so i am NOT doing any nursery work

Oh dear how sad I feel ! I often read everyones replies and it seems like everyones feeling the same ! It can't be right can it ? There are many hard working, commited individuals that have given up or feel like they want to, me included I gave up my post as supervisor in the summer. Whats happening ? If this continues is there anyone going to be left ? !

I can empathise with everyone of you as I have been there and it nots easy, I felt the same and to a certain degree still do. I had to go back to the pre-school I left just so they could stay open so at present I am reliving it all over again ! The pre-school has so many problems, it just needs someone with more Knowledge, office skills and time than I have to put it right and I feel to a certain degree I have let them down. It is one of the reasons I resigned because I realised my own limitations, trouble is there is no-one at present to take over, but there is hope we have had three responses to our advert in the local paper !

it just needs someone with more Knowledge, office skills and time than I have to put it right and I feel to a certain degree I have let them down.

trouble is there is no-one at present to take over,

That how i feel motherclanger in a nutshell!!!!

Hang on in there guys - I know how you all feel and believe me it is sometimes really hard for me to keep my chin up, but wow - you are the centre of your pre-schools and nurseries...without your input these places would just crumble!

I really feel that it will all happen soon - that the LEA will soon work out that we are teachers on a pittance of teacher's pay and that there will be a rumble in the unions some time in the future - after all I was a little taken aback when Unison asked me to join the teachers strike (isn't our pay much less that teacher's)?

Anyway, that aside, I really am convinced (maybe stupidly) that our staff, parents colleagues and most of all children do really appreciate (99% of the time) our striving to do our best.

At the end of another 5 years I'm going to put in for a new grant - for a facelift - as I can see the wrinkles and I know they don't belong to me - they belong to my ofsted inspector and the grumpy parent tht I keep sliding a smile on to greet! xD

Delegate that paperwork - make the staff do a little more - ask a parent to do some laminating or cutting out or decorate the noticeboard, delegate, delegate and slide on the smile x :o