Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Time For Interaction

:o Can anyone give me some advise about finding time to interact with babies ? Since starting this EYFS, I find that my time is taken up with writing observations or taking photo's to back up the observations. Where's the need for adult interaction gone ?

I cant help much as I dont work with babies but just wanted to say I'm sorry you feel like this. EYFS isn't all about writing observations, also photos. Sometimes we have photos to go with our obs, but often the photo its self is the observation- surely you dont need photos to back up your written obs?

You may get more of a respnse if you post this in a forum that is more suited for baby stuff

Edited by lynned55

Hi fmac1973 and welcome to the forum. Do you work in a day care nursery? This part of the forum is for Year 1 and Reception teachers specifically but I can move your post somewhere more appropriate for you. xD

You shouldn't be spending all your time observing and taking a photograph only takes a minute at the most (particularly when you're me and tend to put the camera down in strange places instead of returning it to where it should be :o ). Why do you feel the need to spend so much time on observations?

Hi fmac 1973 - welcome to the Forum!

I know that some daycare settings have set routines for observing children - are you being put under pressure to do more observations by your management team? Or do you feel that the EYFS itself is stipulating that you need to increase the number of observations you need in order to plan for children's development?

You are observing children all the time: whether you actually write it all down or not the information is there in your head and spending quality time with your babies is the best way to get to know them and plan experiences that will intrigue them and provoke their learning and development.

This in turn will lead to opportunities to make quality written observations that don't take up all of your time and energies. Although I love photographs, often they do need to be annotated in order to make the learning/development explicit. Otherwise it can be hard to work out what is going on!

Hope you get support to find the right balance!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)