Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hi everyone

I have spent the last few weeks giving our outdoor play area a revamp!

Its great in fine weather but am aware that they need to have the option of going outdoors whatever the weather.

Has anyone got any ideas for outdoor activities as it starts to get colder, and wetter, and windy!

Would welcome some help on this as its all a bit new to me!!

Thanks

Jo xx

We had some fantastic play in the pouring rain this week.

We had out a water tray, range of containers including flower pots and guttering... children had loads of fun catching the rain and poring it down the guttering. Lots of really good vocab.

They also enjoyed having the usual equipment out... we had very soggy dolls, prams and clothes.

We had a good sweeping session in the afternoon sweeping puddles, talking about the sound the brooms made in the water.

A very wet but fantastic day.

Guest Wolfie

Remember.."there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!" The adults notice the wind and rain far more than the children - invest in some good quality all-in-ones in time for the colder weather if you can! :o

it is tricky especially trying to dry things out in a damp shed we tend to leave material things in now when its wet as we have ruined lots of things will mill dew - so get things out like trays, tools, tyres etc :o

We had some fantastic play in the pouring rain this week.

We had out a water tray, range of containers including flower pots and guttering... children had loads of fun catching the rain and poring it down the guttering. Lots of really good vocab.

They also enjoyed having the usual equipment out... we had very soggy dolls, prams and clothes.

We had a good sweeping session in the afternoon sweeping puddles, talking about the sound the brooms made in the water.

A very wet but fantastic day.

Hi Lorna,

Do you have children's brooms for sweeping puddles/leaves etc? I have been trying to find some and have been unsuccessful. Thanks.

we have adult brooms with handles which are extendible.. so you can make them half size for the children and adult sized when you want to use them.. we do have child brooms.. but cannot remember where from.. think it must have been Asda at some time when or on offer at local garden centre ...

Inge

Aldi & Lidl sometimes have children's garden tools, including brooms, at reasonable prices. You have to watch for the offers, though, & I think it tends to be springtime!

I don't know how to make the links link (!) but if you do a forum search for the title 'playing in the rain', there's good stuff there. Also the title 'weather boxes'. If anyone can tell me how to do links to past posts, I'll come back and put the links in!

Lots of good ideas here - thanks everyone! What do the children do with the tyres? i think I need to be a bit more imaginative! Im not put off by the weather but I want to be ready for it and have some ideas ready and waiting!! Keep them coming!!

Jo xx

PS am now on the lookout for some bargain sweeping brushes!!

Hi everyone!

I just want to add that I love outdoor play and all your ideas sound great. If I could I'd be back outside in all weathers then I would be! Let's let our children be children and have the experiences we had at their age! For those out there who don't want to be outside, remember it's not about you it's about the children so get your wellies on and enjoy-it's about being creative outside and providing a learning environment that lets children have the best opportunities to learn in a variety of fun and exciting ways!

Happy children learn - unhappy children don't!

Enjoy! :o

My class are loving being outdoors and so am I - so many opportunites when it is planned alongside the indoors.

Am just trying to collect lots of good ideas for the outdoor area. So if you have tried something that was successful then please share. Also how do you all plan for outdoors ie what does your paperwork look like?

Thanks everyone

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)