Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diwali

Diwali (festival of lights) is celebrated by both Hindus and Sikhs although the origins o the celebrations differ considerably.

The Hindu Diwali, which marks the beginning of the Hindu New Year, commemorates the victory of Rama over the demon king, Ravanna, and his triumphant return from exile with his wife Sita. Hindus believe Sita to be the earthly manifestation of Lakshmi, the consort of Vishnu the sun-god. Worship at the mandir on the eve of Diwali is especially devoted to Lakshmi, who is believed to bring 'health, power, victory and happiness to all those upon whom she smiles'.

On Diwali itself the temple is brightly decorated and filled with lighted candles, symbolising the triumph of light over darkness, good over evil, and providing a reminder of the better side of human nature

I did displays using posters from the internet, a story board of Rama and the Demon King (got a great powerpoint from the forum-attached). We also did haind painting and made a display after photocopying all the childrens hands (a bit of ICT there :o )

We also made rangoli patterns using lego.

Have fun xD

Peggy

post-3604-1223457935_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223457952_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223457965_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223457983_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223458012_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223458040_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223458068_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1223458100_thumb.jpg

The_story_of_Rama_and_Sita_1_.ppt

post-3604-1223458276_thumb.jpg

FANTASTIC!! :o

Thanksyou so much!!

The pictures are great; the hands look so much fun! I think the children will love it!!

We have a couple of little terrors who are perfect angels when playing with the lego so I will definitely be using ure legorangoli patterns idea!

Thanks JackieL for the link too ....

Can't thank you both enough! xD

Thanks for the link from me as well - we always have some indian food as well - luckily always have parents who celebrate so they bring clothes in and we have some wonderful bollywood music Dot

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and the power point is brill! I am just coming to terms with all this new fangled technology stuff and have just completed my first power point so thanks for the head start on Diwali.

I'm going to be taking spices eg tumiric, cumin, coriander etc.

let the children mix it with some water, they can see the consistancy change and use the paste to paint with.

another idea is to dye rice and they can play with the coloured rice

Hi everyone,

Diwali falls in half-term this year doesn't it? When are you doing your activities realted to the festival? I wanted the week after half term to be planned around bonfire night - perhaps i could do it the week before??

UNCOOKED SWEETS FOR DIWALI

YOU WILL NEED

1 large and 1 small tin of condensed milk

2 packets of desiccated coconut

200 g (7 oz) ground almonds

1 kg (3 lb) icing sugar

110 g (4 oz) chopped nuts

a little ground cardamon

a little grated nutmeg

a few strands of saffron

METHOD

Mix all the ingredients together. Either spread the mixture in trays and cut into pieces, or roll into small balls. Place in paper cases and sprinkle with icing sugar and nutmeg.

I've made them in the past but didn't think I'd used all the ingredients (mind you, the ones we made tasted disgusting!)

We made them on Friday as a practice (uncooked sweets)

A large tin of condensed milk

Large packet of coconut

Pink food colouring

All mixed together, put into very small sweet cases in ball shape Then into fridge They were fine,although, very sweet

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

just out of interest roughly how many sweets did that recipe make? Trying to get the quantities right to make sweets for over 100 children.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)