Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entry Data

queline

I teach Reception and just wondered how people enter their entry data? On advice of the LEA I take the preschool and nursery records as a continuous document and enter their asessments as an entry mark, if i disagree with something i will not put it down and likewise if i feel they have achieved a point on entry that hadn't been attained at preschool or nursery (for example, things observed in the first few weeks) I will add those points as entry. After the first few weeks, progress is then entered as Autumn A.

Is this how other people do it?

Thanks in advance

:)

I teach Reception and just wondered how people enter their entry data? On advice of the LEA I take the preschool and nursery records as a continuous document and enter their asessments as an entry mark, if i disagree with something i will not put it down and likewise if i feel they have achieved a point on entry that hadn't been attained at preschool or nursery (for example, things observed in the first few weeks) I will add those points as entry. After the first few weeks, progress is then entered as Autumn A.

Thanks in advance

I do initial assessments in the first week and compare to nursery dat is it not pre entry now - but i am having problems that the nurseries that feed into my school don't use EYFS yet

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

I do exactly the same as you.

Helen

I have done my own assessments, keeping in mind what I have read from nursery/pre-school, but going on what I have observed. I have entered their entry assessments under 'pre entry', as I understood autumn A to be what they have achieved during 1st half term, as opposed to what they could do on entry - but I don't understand why they changed 'on entry' to pre-entry!

Following a course i went on about the eyfs on friday last week we were told to judge our children broadly against the development matters statements for each area and this would be our on entry data for reception . autumn a is for the first half term ie elearning undertaken and achieved during the first few weeks of the reception year. I used an elctronic copy of the statements and fillled in the children's names in the bands which broadly they fityted into

and will use this as there entry assessment

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am an NQT in Reception and at the beginning of term I went on my LEA's training for e-profile at which the e-profile version 2 was uploaded onto my laptop and we were told to enter data up by half term as 'on entry' data and not to use 'autumn a' but to go straight onto adding assessments as 'autumn b' in the second half of the term.

However, although I followed this advice and having thought that I had completed the assessment for the 1st half of term appropriately, I am now confused and concerned. I had a visit from my EYs advisor today, who updated my profile to version 3 and while showing me the changes I noticed the change from 'on entry' to 'pre-entry'. I asked her about it and checked I had done my assessments correctly, only to be told that as well as pre-entry I should have completed an 'autumn a' entry but mine were combined as I was told to by the advisors on the e-profile course in September and I don't think I could truly separate the results into 'pre-entry' and 'autumn a' - I'm not sure I would be able to give a true representation of their abilities at the pre-entry point.

If any one has experienced similar alterations in advice or has any advice, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Becky

I was also bemused by the change from 'on entry' to 'pre entry', and agree that entry data should not be autumn A, as (to me anyway), Autumn A is progress they have made during the first half term, not 'entry' data.

However (and this will be of little use to you!), my authority wanted data submitted as Autumn A, and advisor told me it could be entry data or entry + autumn A (whatever I had!). IApparently LA are only collecting entry data so schools can use it for their SEF (for where intake is on entry, compared to local and national data. I can see that, for schools that have a long/staggered entry process, it will take longer to gather entry data, but if average entry scores are a mixture of pure entry and entry + Autumn A, surely it doesn't provide true averages?!

That really doesn't help you, I know (sorry!) and is really a load of waffle, so hope someone else can help!

purplemagic x

I was a course for the updated eye profile (instead of e profile)on tuesday. We sent our profile scores off today and then have updated the computer to the new profile . they did say pre entry could be put instead of on entry and then to enter the data in the term as you updated through the year. As the new eye profile has the capability to enter 2 year groups I think authorities will eventually start asking for nursery children to be assessed and scores entered before too long. xD

We are quite lucky being a unit as we already know our children very well to do the scores. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I am really confused now!!! Not sure if I use pre entry to record baseline scores for children entering Reception class or Autumn A? It baffles me why the people who design the profile do not consider these issues before publishing them! Another phone call to the LA I think!

• 2 weeks later...
I am really confused now!!! Not sure if I use pre entry to record baseline scores for children entering Reception class or Autumn A? It baffles me why the people who design the profile do not consider these issues before publishing them! Another phone call to the LA I think!

I went on some EYEProfile training today and the Early Years Consultant said that Pre Entry was only to be used Pre nursery entry. Reception is to start from teachers judgements and knowledge of preschool records in Aut A. If you are an FS unit with both nursery and reception (or F1 and F2) the children's data can be put on th eProfile from Nursery now and tracked through. Hope this makes sense!! :)

Following a course i went on about the eyfs on friday last week we were told to judge our children broadly against the development matters statements for each area and this would be our on entry data for reception . autumn a is for the first half term ie elearning undertaken and achieved during the first few weeks of the reception year. I used an elctronic copy of the statements and fillled in the children's names in the bands which broadly they fityted into

and will use this as there entry assessment

Hi Jo , this is where I get confused, on my course they said that we shouldn't use development matter statements as a checklist. Also, where is the cross over between dev. matters and aut a which are elgs? I am still confused.

I went on some EYEProfile training today and the Early Years Consultant said that Pre Entry was only to be used Pre nursery entry. Reception is to start from teachers judgements and knowledge of preschool records in Aut A. If you are an FS unit with both nursery and reception (or F1 and F2) the children's data can be put on th eProfile from Nursery now and tracked through. Hope this makes sense!! :)

Thats what I thought also but it is still confusing. I have just filled in Aut A and a bit of B so far.

• 3 months later...
Hi Jo , this is where I get confused, on my course they said that we shouldn't use development matter statements as a checklist. Also, where is the cross over between dev. matters and aut a which are elgs? I am still confused.

Didnt say as a checklist only which band they would work securely within and what wenew about the children most of our children started in the 30 - 50 mth band broadly speaking she said it was to be used across all aspects as an indicator of starting points

probably doesnt help

Thanks in advance

hi not sure if this is any help -

I don't add anything to my eye Profie until Autumn Half Term - when I have read all the different files from all the different settings my children come from - make my own judgements and then use these as a starting point I then update in Autumn b to show progress once in Feb and then again for the end of Foundation in June/july ready for submission to LA - I don't do every half term life is too short and I have better things to do than spend hours of my precious time updating eye profile scores - you know what they say you do't make a pig fatter by keep weighing it - I do however keep my childrens files up to date and use these extensively when making judgements I do remember a time when we were asked to do entry and exit scores formative and summative to show the progress a child has made and to provide the KS1 teacher with an accuate picture of each child so that as part of transisiton a children who was working within the ELG could continue that journey in year 1 - thing to remember is that learning is a journey not a race

g

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)