Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sad Day.

:o I have decided I can't go on any longer with a committee run Pre-School.

I am giving in my notice next week. I will never ever ever want to work in a committee run Pre-school again.

In my experience they should not be allowed to be run by people who suddenly have fulll control of things they know nothing about, destroying peoples confidence and self esteem.

I know I am talking about my experience and I know there are many committee run Pre-schools that do work but for me , no ,no no.

There are so many reasons why I want to leave, but the main reason is my health. I know I will be going off with stress if I don't do something now and take control of my life.

The committee are slowly desroying everything I have ever worked for. I have tried really hard to give it a go but it is just awful,

I never ever stop worrying about what is going on and it is only a part time job.

Sorry just wanted to make myself feel better and put it in writing to convince myself I am doing the right thing. xD

Hi Jessica

I do feel for you and do know exactly how you are feeling, i'm in a committee run pre-school and the only reason i'm still here is for the children...... it's awful... they have no idea how to run a pre-school or what is needed...i've been struggling for 5 years now and i'm feeling extremely stressed as i'm now also doing the degree, which i finish this year.....i feel extremely low, very tired and i'm getting one cold after another........ hubby thinks i should walk away i'm just finding that very hard to do....

I'm pleased you have managed to make that descison, you need to do what is right for you.... when it is done you will probabaly feel like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders.... good luck for the future and just do what you feel is right..

Hi Jessica

I do feel for you and do know exactly how you are feeling, i'm in a committee run pre-school and the only reason i'm still here is for the children...... it's awful... they have no idea how to run a pre-school or what is needed...i've been struggling for 5 years now and i'm feeling extremely stressed as i'm now also doing the degree, which i finish this year.....i feel extremely low, very tired and i'm getting one cold after another........ hubby thinks i should walk away i'm just finding that very hard to do....

I'm pleased you have managed to make that descison, you need to do what is right for you.... when it is done you will probabaly feel like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders.... good luck for the future and just do what you feel is right..

Thank you, Oh I feel for you and know what you are going through.

it's my hubby that has persuaded me to make this descision, he wants me to take stock, he is worried about me and is threatening to go and fight my corner. I don't want him involved. I know it will be very hard leaving the children, I am trying not to think about that. I will think of Christmas and giving them a good time before I leave.

I'm really sorry it has come to this, but if you feel it's the right decision, then you must follow your instincts.Do any of the committee have any idea of how you're feeling??Would an honest heart-to-heart with them help to sort this out, or could your EYDO help to intervene? If not, and you really feel the time is right to move on, then good luck with what you do next.Could you start up on your own??Not easy, but there is a lot of help out there.Having sadi all of that, I wouldn't ever have a committee in control of my setting again, so I know exactly where you're coming from! Good luck xx

Sorry to hear that you are having to resign from your job but I totally understand that if you're not happy you have to do it. I hope you manage to find a job you are very happy in.

I have no experience of this kind of setting so can't comment on it, but it doesn't sound good.

Oh Jessica, I am so sorry things are like they are. We are committee run too and while we get the occasional 'hard-headed' person who wants to rule the world, the committee we have had for two years is wonderful.

However, your health is the most important here and it shows just how loving and caring you are when you say you are thinking about the children first.

If you feel the weight of the world go off your shoulders when you resign, then you have made the right decision.

Good luck for the future, give yourself a break before looking for another job and I wish you the best in finding a more suitable job where you are appreciated. :o

I too worked in a committee run group for a number of years and found it at times to be incredibly stressful. I know exactly what you are feeling and understand what you must be going through. I stuck it out when I was having a really bad time and did get a better committee with a bunch of really nice people. However, none of them really knew what the work involved and often things were run in an extremely haphazard way. I could never run a truly professional group because of this and the work was a real struggle so much of the time. I had already vowed last year that that would be my last. Fortunately we ended up moving so it made the task of handing in my notice much easier.

Your husband is right - your health and happiness has to take priority. Life is for living and you can't do that if you feel like you're doing it under a cloud all the time. Luckily this is one instance where you have the power to remove the cloud yourself. I hope that this is the right choice for you and that good things come to you in the future to prove this was the case. Good luck!

I too was in a similar situation and decided enough was enough and believe me as soon as I gave in my notice the weight just started dropping from my shoulders.

I know its a tough decision but you have to ensure that you are doing what is right for you not for anybody else. I know I was foul tempered at home because I was so stressed and my husband and children now have a far better mother and wife!!

If you feel it would resolve the situation have a word with the committee if not it might be worth just telling them why you are handing your notice in, so as they are aware quite what pressure you have been under.

My thoughts are with you!! I understand completely how you feel!! I resigned in the summer holidays for similar reasons!! The job takes over your every waking moment! My hubby and family were not impressed with the amount of work I did in the evenings!! I am looking for another job and have applied for a few but I decided that I would never again work for a committee run/community group!! I too feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!! I have time for my family, I have joined my daughters PTA and today helped for the first time at a pre-school Harvest church service!! I absolutely loved doing it (did a puppet show with my sister). I am keeping myself busy while I wait for the right job for me and my family comes along!

You sound like you have come to the end of your tether and you need to make that move before you really start to resent the job! You have to put yourself first!!!

Good luck.

jx

How sad: I feel very sorry for you that you have found yourself in this situation. It sort of creeps up on you really: you hope things will get better but ultimately if things are going from bad to worse and your health is beginning to suffer then you're making the right decision.

I hope the committee can understand your reasons and begin to look at how to make things better - otherwise this pattern will be repeated all to often.

Once you have come to terms with saying goodbye you'll be able to begin to make plans for your life after pre-school - and who knows where these plans will take you?

Good luck for the future - you deserve it!

Maz

Been there too Jessica. Its a shame that many of us have the same working conditions i.e. being run by people who have no understanding (even after many explanations) of what the running of a playgroup involves. I was once denied a pay increase on the basis that I would have to pay tax! And thats relevent because...?

Be assured that now you've made the decision you will never look back in regret. Many fond memories will follw you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next :o

Oh dear, I have just got in from work, read all your lovely replies and drowned in a bucket of tears.

I looked at all my hard work today, focused on all the children and their special little ways and thought how could I do this. THEN the chair came in and demanded the SEF to be filled in before I go. That's it. I am sure I am doing the right thing, the children will be just as lovely if and when I find another setting to go to.

I will get through the next few weeks with the thought that they can't dictate to me anymore!

The joke is ,she doesn't even know what a SEF form is, where she can find it, or what it looks like!! Oh and by the way it was the form that OFSTED sent her to fill in before the summer holiday,you might want this she said as she passed it over, or put it in the bin if it's rubbish.

xD I have decided I can't go on any longer with a committee run Pre-School.

I am giving in my notice next week. I will never ever ever want to work in a committee run Pre-school again.

In my experience they should not be allowed to be run by people who suddenly have fulll control of things they know nothing about, destroying peoples confidence and self esteem.

I know I am talking about my experience and I know there are many committee run Pre-schools that do work but for me , no ,no no.

There are so many reasons why I want to leave, but the main reason is my health. I know I will be going off with stress if I don't do something now and take control of my life.

The committee are slowly desroying everything I have ever worked for. I have tried really hard to give it a go but it is just awful,

I never ever stop worrying about what is going on and it is only a part time job.

Sorry just wanted to make myself feel better and put it in writing to convince myself I am doing the right thing. :(

Hi Jessica

Oh I now how you feel, I am suffering health wise due to confidental issues at work. Currently sat here in pain :o and not very well at all. Unfortunatly I don't have a hubby that could support me, so until something gives I have to say where I am, which i am not happy about at all. I am just praying that something good happens so I can feel better.

Good luck for your future and hope you find something you like.

Beth

:(:( nice one Jessica - ive never been able to make them.

Do make sure your chair does an exit interview :oxD

Is there enough paper to make a large enough plane

Hi Jessica

Oh I now how you feel, I am suffering health wise due to confidental issues at work. Currently sat here in pain :o and not very well at all. Unfortunatly I don't have a hubby that could support me, so until something gives I have to say where I am, which i am not happy about at all. I am just praying that something good happens so I can feel better.

Good luck for your future and hope you find something you like.

Beth

Thank you Beth, talking about it on here has helped me a little already. It doesn't pay to bottle up things, so speak to someone about your problems if you can.

Hope you feel better soon

Well done fo leaving it takes alot of courage and also alot of guilty feelings to leave that situation. I am like many and have been in the same situation. I'm like you and would never work for a committee again. Thank goodness I now have my own group for the last 10 years and even though I have had really bad times I know that things have still been in my control and not some one else who doesn't understand.

Think of working for yourself now.

Good luck for the future

Steph

Hi Jessica

Sorry to read about your hard decision but I think you are right. I know that if I was in a similar situation I could not cope with interfering committee members who do not appreciate how hard it is to run a pre-school. You will find it hard as you look at the children you are caring for but take heart that something good is waiting around the corner!!

Really sorry to hear your sad situation Jessica. Our committee always seem to upset me/staff just before Christmas party!! xD Wonder what way they will choose to do it this year!!

Saw this and thought of you!!! :oxD:(:(:(

Thank you Shiny, that was fantastic, I now know how to make the plane, now I have to decide where I should send her to :wacko:

Well done fo leaving it takes alot of courage and also alot of guilty feelings to leave that situation. I am like many and have been in the same situation. I'm like you and would never work for a committee again. Thank goodness I now have my own group for the last 10 years and even though I have had really bad times I know that things have still been in my control and not some one else who doesn't understand.

Think of working for yourself now.

Good luck for the future

Steph

Thank you Steph. Glad you managed to make the break. There seems to be too many people in the same situation, why is this allowed to happen to decent, kind, hardworking dedicated people. Our job requires so much work for so little pay, I have put my heart and soul into my job. I feel trodden on and used. I feel so sorry for the next person who walks into my shoes.

Oh Jessica, how sad that you've been pushed to this. :(

I feel for you (and Beth!)

There's nothing worse than waking each morning, dreading going in to work (been there, done that! :o )

If you are already feeling better for having shared your decision on here, imagine how GREAT you'll feel when you share it with the committee!!! xD

You take care, do what's right for you and yours and trust that as this situation ends, something better will come along.

Nona

thanks Nona, once I get there I am fine, its when you open the door to those faces you dread, the children make it all possible and keep me smiling.

I have got the largest flying moths in my stomach at the thought of telling them. I have no idea how they will respond. I have had two glasses of wine., have sat writing a letter about a dozen times and now I am going to relax while I make those paper planes for her grand exit. WhEEEEEEEEE

Like lots of others have said I have sooooo much empathy for you, I have been there too. The committee I worked with wanted to take over everything and spent a lot of time arguing amongst themselves making life unbearable, calling meeting after meeting and I could go on and on basically they ground me down to a very stressed-ill and depressed manager! :(

It will be a year ago at Christmas that I left and am now not in a managerial position - best decision I made, I can concentrate on qualifying as a teacher - over the next year or so.

Telling them is horrible but hey we all have to do these things, my last few days pushed me to the limit....but lets put life into perspective it is not the end of the world, be strong, they will have to rethink their ways.

Good luck to you and be prepared for mixed emotions over the next few days and weeks when you finally go as Shelley35 said the weight will lift.

Hang on in there :oxD:( :(

Edited by Guest

Like lots of others have said I have sooooo much empathy for you, I have been there too. The committee I worked with wanted to take over everything and spent a lot of time arguing amongst themselves making life unbearable, calling meeting after meeting and I could go on and on basically they ground me down to a very stressed-ill and depressed manager! :(

It will be a year ago at Christmas that I left and am now not in a managerial position - best decision I made, I can concentrate on qualifying as a teacher - over the next year or so.

Telling them is horrible but hey we all have to do these things, my last few days pushed me to the limit....but lets put life into perspective it is not the end of the world, be strong, they will have to rethink their ways.

Good luck to you and be prepared for mixed emotions over the next few days and weeks when you finally go as Shelley35 said the weight will lift.

Hang on in there :oxD:( :(

Thanks Shirel. I can remember reading your posts when you were going through the same emotions and problems. I was unhappy then but have managed to also keep going until now. I cannot take it any longer. The trouble is I am close to tears all the timw and it won't take much for me to walk out which is what I don't want to do. I need to stay very very strong