Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton Help!

Hi all,

Well taking my second registration/circle time tomorrow and have asked the supervisor if I can build on the use of Makaton signs and symbols we have just started to use (children know good morning, sorry and listen!). We do have a little boy in that has just started using these hence why we are trying to build up everbodies involvement.

I have been put down to take register one day per week (tomorrow) and thought that I could take this on board with the idea that maybe we could eventually learn the signs for eg twinkle twinkle for the nativity (or anybody else got a good xmas song???). I am at home and so do not have the phone no of our inclusion support teacher on hand. Have looked through my book trying to find a suitable couple of signs to do tomorrow and would like to use "quiet"...anyone describe the sign for me????!!! I have the sign for sing and play which I may also introduce tomorrow.....how many do you think I should do 1, 2 or 3????

Any advice/info appreciated!

Hmm I guess it depends how you want to use them and if you want the child that needs to use the signing to keep up with all the signs you use. Makaton is mostly nouns and verbs. At school we use 1 or 2 key signs within a sentence when talking to the children as our children are only at a 1-2 information carrying word level.

I would say that sing and play (2 of my favourite signs after cow!) are good key words to introduce as are the obvious please and thank you. Old MacDonald is a great song to learn with signs as the animal signs are easy to learn and all kids love them.

oo our children always love the Rainbow Song using Makaton even the 3 year olds.... Red and Yellow and Pink and Green etc. have you go the signs for colours?

Carla

We find the trick with Makaton is to introduce it as part of your regular daily routine for all children, Most of our staff use simple signing regularly throughout the session for everyday things like sit, eat, drink, which are part of the routine. These can be found on the BBC site under Something Special. it is not something we decided on so many signs at a time.. just signing the words as you say them for as many of them you can, but all the time so it becomes a natural thing to do.. we probably don't use as many as we used to these days, but always seem to use ones in songs.. which are hard to describe.. most of ours seem to have Makaton signs to them.. we learnt from support staff we had for children as well as from the children.

we use Something Special to remind us of signs and learn new ones, although we do have basic training and are actually unaware of how much we use during the session..

For songs we have also used a Dave Benson Phillips video , which on searching I have found that at last there are some on DVDs here so I will have to update our stock.. video is almost worn out as it was loved so much!

Inge

Hiya

As Inge says we use it throughout the session with all chidlren :) e.g. wait, walk (don't run), thank you, milk, bread, butter, yoghurt, apple etc

Hiya

As Inge says we use it throughout the session with all chidlren :) e.g. wait, walk (don't run), thank you, milk, bread, butter, yoghurt, apple etc

Hi

Thats what we are attempting to do...use everyday even though the little boy in question only attends twice per week. We have got the good morning one going everyday, and Im constantly using the listen one!

Actually you have reminded me about the something special programmes (was going to try get dvd to use when we have wet play at lunch time!)

I have a small book with some signs and symbols in that are applicable so I think I must get practicing.

Might try the please and thank you at snack time too.

Last year I used Makaton throught sessions, especially when introducing new topic words to the children. It helped them to learn what the topic words meant. I had advice from speech and language who suggested only introducing signs for 2 or 3 key words at a time.

We also use it every day. hello good morning/afternoon. milk,juice,biscuit,toilet, and we sing songs Old Macdonald,Hickory Dickory,twinkle Twinkle,Dingle Dangle Scarecrow, we managed to get a book form our area senco with all of the songs in and the children love it.

Myself and another dtaff member recently finished our level 4 in Makaton and like others here use it every day . you'll be amazed how quickly you and the kids will pick it up.

I was reading brown bear story the other day and realised taht I could Makaton sign all of the way through and the children really loved it. We managed to get on a very cheap course organised by our local development officer .

We use makaton and last year did our christmas play in sign Away in a manger is good in sign and jingle bells and rudolph the red nosed reindeer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)