Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Beat Baby

Hi there,

I have purchased a Beat Baby and also one of the number rhyme CD's but before I start using it I would love if someone could help me and explain how EXACTLY you use it?! Do you get the children to tap their feet to the rhythm? Do they sing along too? How can you TELL when they are maintaining a steady beat? And is this when you might reveal Beat Baby uncurled in all her glory? Aghh, so confused!! :o

When i bought mine i also bought a book that told you all that info. It's called "Helping young children with steady beat".It suggests putting the beat baby in a fancy box or small basket to introduce it. you then tell the children about your special friend in the box who is very shy. You take it out of the box still curled up and then you say the intro rhyme quietly to encourage the beat baby to uncurl.

Beat Baby beat baby oh so small

Beat Baby beat baby curled up in a ball

Beat Baby beat baby can't see you at all

Beat Baby beat baby will you hear our call?

The children then call Beat baby starting with a whisper and get gradually louder and then she uncurls herself. They then pass her around and say the say hell to us all rhyme.

When i bought mine i also bought a book that told you all that info. It's called "Helping young children with steady beat".It suggests putting the beat baby in a fancy box or small basket to introduce it. you then tell the children about your special friend in the box who is very shy. You take it out of the box still curled up and then you say the intro rhyme quietly to encourage the beat baby to uncurl.

The children then call Beat baby starting with a whisper and get gradually louder and then she uncurls herself. They then pass her around and say the say hell to us all rhyme.

Thank you for that. And how does she uncurl herself?

The beat baby has a tail which is magnetic. Just pull it apart and s/he unrolls. We have several in different colours: our Beat Baby is wrapped in a chiffon scarf, and lives in a gold Ikea box, and each time the children guess what colour it will be.

Our opening song is "Beat baby, beat baby where are you? Beat baby, beat baby we love you!". The children know that once the beat is going round successfully (ie children are clapping in time to the syllables of the rhyme), beat baby will come out of his/her box to play.

We sit in a close circle, and beat baby travels around the circle from child to child as we chant our rhymes. Beat baby always starts off with me and I begin the rhyme and at the end of the first verse I pass beat baby to the first child and ask them to supply a suitable word for the 'blank'. Then when that verse is done, the child passes beat baby on to the next child and so it goes on until everyone has had a turn.

We have a limited repertoire because that way even the youngest children can supply their 'answer' to fit in the rhyme: our favourites are:-

Gorilla in the corner, gorilla up a tree, gorilla jump down with a one, two three! and

Last week I went to the zoo by train, I liked it so much that I'll go there again! and

Hat on your head, shoes on your feet, lets go jumping out in the street. I had a bag of money, I took it to the shop, I bought 200 lollipops and then I had to stop!

So in the first instance the children have to think of an animal go be up the tree, in the second a place to go by train and in the third, something to buy 200 of in the shops!

When we have reached the end of our time it is time to put beat baby back into his box, and we have a goodbye routine. We say "one, two, three and pass him on!". During the 'one two three' bit the children give beat baby a bit of a kiss and cuddle, and then on 'pass him on' they pass beat baby to the next child for them to kiss and cuddle during the next 'one two three' bit, passing on as and when approriate. When the last child has kissed beat baby goodbye, they pass the beat baby back into my lap onto the waiting chiffon scarf and I wrap him up and put him back in his box.

It all sounds a bit odd when its written down - but I hope you can see how our session works!

Maz

We ask the children to make box homes for beat baby. In the junk material area, the children have devised all sorts of different rooms and beat baby takes turns to stay in each one ! :o

We ask the children to make box homes for beat baby. In the junk material area, the children have devised all sorts of different rooms and beat baby takes turns to stay in each one ! :o

Now this is a brilliant idea! Thanks for this idea - quite inspired! We might need to scale it down for our 'pack away everyday pre-school' but I'm sure we can adapt it!

Maz

• 3 years later...
Our opening song is "Beat baby, beat baby where are you? Beat baby, beat baby we love you!". The children know that once the beat is going round successfully (ie children are clapping in time to the syllables of the rhyme), beat baby will come out of his/her box to play.

I am going to buy a beat baby but was under the impression that the children have to clap along to the beat, rather than the syllables in the rhyme. Have i got this wrong?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)