Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirate Mini Topic

Going with following children's ideas - lots of interest in map making, so have decided to do a mini pirate topic. Have found a number of resources on here -THANKS - but wonder if anyone has any more ideas - especially sand/water/malleable.

I have hunting for treasure in the sand - letters covered by Phase 2 (so not many), finding rhyming objects and sorting them, finding objects/sorting and counting them/matching to number cards.

Boats in the water tray, using recycled materials to make own boats - which float/don't, adding treasure to boats to see how many jewels before they sink (link to One Eyed Jake), using sponge scrubbers to make boats, finding and making message in a bottle.

Malleable - black play dough and cutters to make pirate biscuits.

I'd be grateful for any other ideas - and other areas too :o

Will be doing - Map making, dressing up, role play, singing The pirate song - When I was one, and the number rhyme about 5 little pirates.

Thanks,

Harricroft

make a treasure chest- maybe test which material is waterproof

what will you put in your treasure chest (bit like The Magic Box?)

obstacle course outdors to get to treasure

use Roamer/beebot - guide to treasure

design patterns for pirate head scarf

hide 'gold coins'- how many can you find?

play Letters and Sounds treasure chest game

make parrots using feathers and other collage materials

hopping games

circle time discussion of 'stealing'

make small biscuits and put into a box (treasure chest)

steal the treasure game using beanbags

Hi Harricroft

Have you done a forum search for pirate topics? I know it has come up several times before and there might be some really good ideas on previous threads.

Thanks for the link - I'm sure I've Harry and a bucketful of dinosaurs

Didn't all your children receive a copy of that book a couple of weeks ago? We got a copy for each child in a little bag and the big book version and other resources arrived today - yours might be still in its box at the office or somewhere! I'm sure it was a freebie- we didn't have to register for it or anything. :o

Guest Wolfie

Can you give me some more details of this..is it one of the Phase one activities listed? Had a quick look and couldn't find it - can you describe the activity?

Is it not a Phase 2+ activity? Words and non-words printed onto coin shapes (downloadable from Sparklebox). Laminate, hide in the sand, children find them and sort into 'treasure' (real words) and 'rubbish' (non words)

Guest Wolfie

Ah right, that's why I can't find it! I'll try and think of how I can alter the activity for 3 and 4 year olds! Thanks anyway!

Have pictures of old coins. Children can look at these and use salt dough to either copy them or make their own designs, decorating with different tools. These can then be cooked overnight and then brought back for the children to paint with gold and silver paint

Junk model treasure chests using egg boxes, brown paper and gold/silver foil

Obstacle courses where you imagine you're being chased by pirates and have to travel over the obstacle course to escape

Black paper and white paint - design a pirate flag

Mazes - get the pirate to the treasure

Draw pirate themed things in yellow felt tip. Laminate these. The children can then draw over these with black white board pens. This is good for developing fine motor skills

Make jewelry out of plasticine

Pirate book browsing - both fiction and non-fiction. This works well if the children can sit in a tent or similar as it then becomes a pirate hideout!

Dance to pirate music (you can buy pirate-themed music on Amazon)

Put novelty rings, beads, pennies etc in a builder's tray. Each child has a pair of tweezers and a minute (use a sand-timer) to pick up as many objects as they can using just their tweezers

Photocopy pictures from a pirate story that the children are familiar with. They then have to peg these pictures, in order, on a washing-line

Use 2D shapes to makes boats or pirates. These can be drawn around too.

Photocopy a big pirate. Stick it on your white board and have speech bubbles prepared. The children then write in the speech bubble and stick it next to the pirate

If you have a paved area outside then let the children draw pirates/ships/treasure etc on the ground in chalk

Use clip-art to collect pirate-themed pictures e.g. pirates, parrots, ships, flags, barrels, treasure chests, cutlasses etc. Draw a dark circle around each one to act as a guide for cutting out. Fold 2 sheets of paper in half and staple down the folded edge in order to make a book. The children can then cut out their chosen pictures, stick one on each page in the book and use emergent writing to label each picture

Edited by Guest

Spray pasta tubes gold and silver to thread for pirate necklaces and bracelets. We told them they had to count 10 pieces for a necklace and 5 for a bracelet (linked to maths too).

Role play - large box for pirate ship and dressing up clothes and empty clear plastic bottles so they could write a message in a bottle and pretend to throw it in the water.

Shell treasures - using black playdough, children added glitter and small shells and then cut out using cirle pastry cutters to make a treasure.

Pirate hats - we cut the basic shape out for them (black sugar paper) and then they could measure and adjust the bands to fit their head, was good to get them to work with a friend to help measure too. Children then draw on skull and cross bones using white crayons / chalk.

• 8 months later...
make a treasure chest- maybe test which material is waterproof

what will you put in your treasure chest (bit like The Magic Box?)

obstacle course outdors to get to treasure

use Roamer/beebot - guide to treasure

design patterns for pirate head scarf

hide 'gold coins'- how many can you find?

make parrots using feathers and other collage materials

hopping games

circle time discussion of 'stealing'

make small biscuits and put into a box (treasure chest)

steal the treasure game using beanbags

Hi Great info on pirate theme...

Would like to know more about your pirate obstacle course for outside...

Looking to set one up next week... just trying to get some ideas...

please share if anyone has any...

Many thanks

:o

Didn't all your children receive a copy of that book a couple of weeks ago? We got a copy for each child in a little bag and the big book version and other resources arrived today - yours might be still in its box at the office or somewhere! I'm sure it was a freebie- we didn't have to register for it or anything. :o

mine didn't - who from

Are you doing anything for book start day on the 10th of October? There is a pirate theme, you get songs/rhymes and a little pirate book for each child. Log on to the website and order some supplies.

http://www.bookstart.co.uk/Health-professionals/NBD08_hl

hopefully this link will work.

I'm 'not permitted' to go in the 'how to order bookstart materials' section :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)