Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dark Den

I bought one of those dark dens (cube-shaped tent type thing which blocks out all light). Here's a picture so you can see what I'm on about!

Brought it into nursery this week for the first time and within a day the window in the side was under strain and by the end of the week the fabric has completely torn.

I was wondering if anyone else has one and if they have had any problems with it? I don't think our children are particularly rough but it is from an educational supplier so I would expect it to stand up to being used by a group of children rather than just one or two in a home environment.

I'm going to write/email customer services to see what they say, but thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone has had the same experience!

Maz

I'm going to write/email customer services to see what they say, but thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone has had the same experience!

Maz

I would give some strong hints about what they SHOULD be saying.....definitely a refund situation I reckon!

I have used my Tesco vouchers for one and am waiting for it to arrive. I will let you know what it's like when it gets here. I wonder what happens if mine tears-do you think I will be able to send it back?

Linda

I had looked at them in the catalogue and thought they were reasonably priced at £39.99. They have also won an award for it. However what put me off was where the access opening was placed [just a little off the ground] because I knew my sen children would probably catch it with their feet and rip it.I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem returning it.

Definately ask for a replacement or refund,I don't think the number of children using it is an issue, if it's that weak a child on their own could break it as well, so I would say the material is of insufficient strength / quality for it's purpose. :o

Peggy

I had looked at them in the catalogue and thought they were reasonably priced at £39.99. They have also won an award for it. However what put me off was where the access opening was placed [just a little off the ground] because I knew my sen children would probably catch it with their feet and rip it.I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem returning it.

Actually the children have had no problem getting in and out, and because the 'door' is round, there is no strain on the stitching as there has been with the square window. As you say though, children who have co-ordination difficulties may find it awkward getting in and out. At 1m x 1m x 1m it is very snug indeed: we found there was room for five children, when it is very hot in there indeed!

I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the accessory pack though: the colour changing ducks are lovely, but the torches are small and difficult for the littlies to manage.

Thanks for your comments: I'll let you know what happens!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to put an order in for one of those this week! Interesting hearing how yours has been. I think it's a great idea and didn't think it was too badly priced so may still go ahead. :o

I have that exact one of those on my Wish List that I have given to committee to approve. I might not bother with it now tho. Let us know how you get on.

We have one, it's mainly for a child with complex needs but all children can access it. Had no problems with the den itself, though as you say, M, some of the accessories are a bit 'off'. Children love it!

• 2 weeks later...

So here's an update.

I didn't email or ring or write: but I spied the supplier at the Education show last week and discreetly approached. I waited for the chap to finish his sales spiel and for the customer to walk away. He brightly said "would you like me to tell you all about it?". I said that I already had one, so no thank you. Must have been something about my sad little face - he knew this wasn't going to be good. :o

Anyway I explained what had happened and he said that the first batch of Dens had problems such as I described and that the newer ones had been reinforced in the corners of the square windows. He did say that children really shouldn't be climbing out of the windows - but added that children being children it is kind of inevitable. He said if I email him in November he will send me a replacement! What a result. Turns out I was speakingto the Marketing Director! So a big thumbs up to TTS!

I also overheard him say to his previous customer that the Dark Den comes with its own carry bag - which was one of my initial complaints because ours didn't have one. He said the new ones also have a bag so that's even better.

I'd be interested to hear whether those of you with Dens have similar problems - and I'll keep you posted about what happens when my new one turns up!

Maz

• 9 months later...

I have recently purchased one of these. the accessories are not of the best quality and i might have to send some back that dont work wel.

Has anybody any tips on which age group this works best with, how you have used it succesfully with the younger ones etc. I want to give my staf some directions but any extra ideas would be really great.

Also, do you leave yours up all day/week or take it down. Like the other lady who purchased it, I am concerned about how fragile it might be.

I' ll be watching this thread, as I have just ordered one of these with the accessory pack and can't wait for it to come. Hope it's the newer one they send. We'll see.

Netta

We used our Tesco vouchers to get one - it lasted a week!

One of the plastic joining pieces got broken so we can no longer assemble it.

We have not yet worked out how we go about getting this replaced.

Mo

oh dear,

we ordered one with our tesco vouchers, i am now NOT that excited about it arriving expecially if it has a tendancy to break promptly.

Dawn

wow what a mixed response...it does seem such a good idea but the 'ripping' really isnt good!! I would love a dark den but I know with the children in my school it would last a day...the windows would be too tempting!!

However on a more positive note I am thinking about constructing one using a tent frame/garden canes and then blackout fabric....hoping it might be cheaper and would also allow a better 'opening' for access! And yes I know it is more effort to build one but my children would take more care that way! I know some of my children would benefit from the lights etc that you can use in them almost like a 'sensory den'!!

Ohh I so need to get searching for blackout fabric now....hmmmm!! More to add to my shopping list

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)