Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Ta's Working To Rule!

Hi,

I was hoping someone may have an idea of the TA's role in terms of NVQ3 level 2 and 3 on the payscale.

My TA is fantastic and has always changed nappies, stayed for meetings supported planning etc but recently a very unhelpful govenor has commented that "if they don't like the way they are being payed then they can find the door!"

This has prompted a huge uproar and they are now pointing out that they are actually being underpaid- NVQ3 level 2 (on new pay structure) when they are observing, changing nappies / children...

Can a TA in Reception Class be paid lower than NVQ 3 level 3 as we have SEN children in nappies?

Can she be paid as a HLTA to cover my PPA?

If she left the classroom to change a nappy- we obviously wouldn't be covered as in ratio would we....???

Is there extra pay for having paedriatric first aid qualification?

Thanks for any help,

Rachael

My TA is fantastic and has always changed nappies, stayed for meetings supported planning etc but recently a very unhelpful govenor has commented that "if they don't like the way they are being payed then they can find the door!"

Oh dear Rachelle - I do feel for you.

I have no expertise to offer, except perhaps that you should invite the Governing Body (one by one, obviously) to come into your classroom and do the 'extra' work the TAs won't be doing whilst on their work to rule and then see if they can justify their undervaluing of the TA role... :o

Good luck.

Maz

For ratios - no you wouldn't be under ratio as the ratio for a reception class is 1:30 which is the class teacher. All other adult s in the room are in addition to the mini,mum ratio required so she can leave the room and you will be within the law. however you would have to reorgaise the children accordingly as obviously they couldn't be free flowing at that point.

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Rachelle

I don't think you should pay the TA HLTA rate unless she has the qualification .

We have 2 TA's in school with this qualification( we supported them through the course and they knew we didn't have a position for them) but are not paid at HLTA as we do not have the funds,so we are very careful that they do not have those responsibilities eg taking a whole class.

We do not get any extra money for having paediatric first aid.

As mentioned the ratio in reception is 1 teacher to 30 children (that is in the building)

Tinkerbellx

Thanks very much for the replies. We are still very confused as to where to go next. The standards for the new pay structure seem to imply that anyone changing nappies / PPA should be paid at Level 3 (Not level 2 on the pay structure).

In the EYFS Appendix 2 it says that there must be 2 qualified adults in the setting which we understood as 1 Teacher and 1 TA. It also mentions cover for toilet and tea breaks. How are other schools organising this? Do any other NVQ 3 (level 2 on pay structure) TA's cover PPA?

Thanks Rachael

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)