Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independent Activities

Hi just wondering if people can share any good independent activites for children to engange in when teacher is focused, i am in Reception.

e.g. the children seem to be board with the table top activities i put out

e.g. have had all the construction toys out, tap tap, etc. but want exciting things for CLL and Numeracy. We have things like Nursry rhyme sack, 'pretend' folder lap tops, magnetic letters, threading, WB and pens etc etc but they seem uninspired does anyone have any good activities that they can share.

Thanks Natasha

Absolutley Peggy!

I'm in a room at present lead by a teacher who doesnt like mess. None of the toys are inspiring, no cars, small train, no role play, no home corner. All the toys are lovely but dead.

Dressing up with props and room to move cant be beaten.

I do recall one person I worked with telling 2 lads off for crossing the room to say hello to me because they had dared to move from the dressing up area while wearing dressing up clothes. Bad children!!

Role play is always very very popular. So are sand and water, making models in the workshop and using paint, crqyons etc in the creative area. Playdough is another activity which children really enjoy and they maintain interest. If you don't have these areas set up then see if you can organise your room to have them on tables with equipment for the children to choose from themselves in boxes or baskets. If you have lots of tables and chairs for everything why not get rid of some to make some space. The children can then use the floor for construction, large jigsaws and small world activities.

Do any of you have any problems with the children filling the sand/water up with everything they can find? I don't want to restrict numbers in the water etc or restrict what they put in it.

How about letting them go and choose what they want out?

Or do you have a nursery at your school........... if so how about borrowing something they have that you don't!

Our reception teacher and year one teacher often borrows........ it means the resources are shared and used often!

We often put out toys on the floors or on a lower table than they are used to as froma different angle, those toys can look different............. have them outdoors also to ring the changes!

:o

Tuff spots are good and can be placed on tables or on the floor. They can be used for play dough, painting, gloop etc. My children love making cakes with play dough on the tuff spot. They use straws which they cut up and use as candles, dry pasta, rice, spaghetti etc. Great for feeling different textures and very social as they make cakes for each other. Can be used for counting, how many candles, cakes etc. Stick laminated numbers on the tuff spot and use it for number recognition too.

Tuff spots are good and can be placed on tables or on the floor. They can be used for play dough, painting, gloop etc. My children love making cakes with play dough on the tuff spot. They use straws which they cut up and use as candles, dry pasta, rice, spaghetti etc. Great for feeling different textures and very social as they make cakes for each other. Can be used for counting, how many candles, cakes etc. Stick laminated numbers on the tuff spot and use it for number recognition too.

Hi weve used our tough spot for gloop and spaghetti sensory experiences Matkat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)