Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Do Next?

beth1

Well I can't belive I have been a manager for 6 months. I got the higest score out of the few that applied at the time and it fits in with my FD course.

It has been a very busy time; sorting out the planning, trying to put paperwork in some sort of order etc. On the other hand I have had staff leaving (next one due to go very soon), plus other things that can't be mentioned on here that spring to mind.

Having refected on what has been done plus a couple of issues that have arised lately. I am feeling down and that I don't belong right at the top of the management level. I think I would cope better at senior room level or equievlent as I am struggling with some aspects of being a manager. I also miss having lots time just to spend with the children, due to the nature of the job even if I am supernuemary.

I have been thinking about this for a while now (even if I am getting a nearly new car next week) about staying for a while longer and try to find a new job with less responisblities. However having been doing and contuing with my Foundation Degree course, I feel that peoples preceptions towards me will be doing managers postion rather than a senior early years practitioner postion.

I am not sure what to do next, I have seen a few jobs that are a peg or two down from what I do now (I think job desciption not very clear) for example mangaging a team of staff and ensuring good quality provision in the setting. Or just becoming an Early Years Practitoner again.

Beth

Hi Beth,

I am in the same position as you. I took over in April this year and have lost quite a few staff, our centre underwent a restructure and quite alot of people took redundancy. We have not had much luck in finding new staff and are going to try again this month. I often feel out of my depth and feel like there is always something else I should be doing and worrying about. I had a staff member off on holiday this week and I did some cover in the room. This short time reminded me why I took on the managerial role. I want to ensure that these fantastic children are given the best opportunities that they could possibly need.

I also got a reminder while using the school playground, some of our leavers have started foundation class and were shouting and banging on the window at me. "We miss you" came from two adorable little munchkins who didn't speak a word of English when they first started in our pre-school.

I have also had a fantastic EYAT who has offered great support and advise.

I am off to Roehampton tomorrow to register to do my BA, converting my FD into a BA. I know the next 6 months or so will be hard work but I think it will be worth it. All that learned from the FD is what allowed me to take on the role I am in now. I was given some great support from this forum and also peers on the FD course.

However if this is affecting your life then maybe you should consider an alternative. I am sure there will be others with more powerful words of advice than me who will help you out shortly. :o

p.s why don't my smiley faces work!!??

I have watched your posts with interest Beth as I too took on a managerial role whilst doing the FD and then left it as I found it too much to do with my family commitments as well.

I now work in a deputy role - which is fine but............make sure you are really sure, maybe you are just feeling the pressure at the moment. For me working at a deputy level is manageable but I miss the managerial position in that I cannot impact on change as much as I could - and with all the knowledge you are constantly gaining studying it becomes very difficult to sit back and not point out what is not being done how you think is best according to what you have learnt.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant in any way it just is very difficult to step down, on the one hand it is great not to have the responsibility but on the other you loose that position to influence and instigate change and everything you feel passionate about has to be suppressed - ok you can try to impact at meetings but my experience is that some staff are afraid of change and unwilling to respond to research or information from study.

All that said you have to make a decision based on what is best for YOU, and whatever you decide you have managed this nursery and have worked very hard and you have that always to be proud of. When I left my manager's role I printed my Ofsted report out (outstanding result) and read it several times to convince myself I had done well.

I will wait to qualify as a teacher to fulfil that role again one day, but for now my children are needy and doing the 3rd year of the degree and then the PGCE will keep me in a deputy role.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Guest

I to understand how you feel Beth, some days you just ask yourself is it really worth the hassle! You do the development - get the FD/Full degree...... but do you get the chance to put it i anything nto practice... NO!!!!!!!!

My staff are so against change it is unbelievable - added to the fact if you try to 'lead by acting' (is that the right phase?) 99% of the time you end up being called away to deal with other issues, resulting in no changes!!!!!!! and back to square one.

rant over - I to am considering new job!

xxx

Aww thanks guys, yes it is true about what you say putting things into practice. However I have increasily feel that being manager and key person to children I have not yet managed make changes to the preschool. Such like louby loo's example!

I have decdied later on in life to become a teacher like you Shierl, I still haven't decided what is sending me in this drection but for most of my life I have wanted to be a reception class teacher (maybe its the teacher who I had at that age) but I want to go down the BA Early Childhood route so need at least 2:1 to get on the next course a few years down the line.

Maybe I will see how things pan out.

Beth

Update

Well after careful consideration plus issues that are confidentail, I have made up my mind on what to do. Which unforuntaily I do not want to state on here due to people in the area know about me.

Thanks for your help, just hope I can get what I want for a change.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Good luck with what ever you have decided. i had a very rough first year where i was finding my feet as a Manager and dealing with staff issues and building up numbers etc. I look back now and it seems laughable but the stress is amazing and i think we're all MAD!!

I have survived though and am doing the Foundation Degree - i still haven't decided what path to take at the end but it's really good!

Take care

hopscotch :o

Oh dear, sorry to hear you are feeling distraught, but do I sense there is a bit of 'relief' as well?

PM if you need to sound off (in confidence).

Peggy

Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear that things couldn't be resolved at all. I know you may be feeling terrible now but try to use this experience and learn from it, so that it isn't completely negative. Look back at what has happened and reflect upon the circumstances that led up to it and how everyone involved might have acted differently to change the outcome. This will help you in the future should a similar situation start to develop. Also reflect upon your own strengths and weaknesses during this time so that you can feel proud of the things you have managed well but have an opportunity to improve upon those things you didn't do so well at. Good luck for the future. :o

Well thank you for your words of support, much appricated.

I have spoken to people for legal advice, who say nice words of support. I feel a lot calmer about things now and am ready to move on with my life. Downside of this is having to attend jobcentre, who have had a quick look at the issues and seen 'straight through' them! Well that will teach them to do as directed (if you get my meaning)! :o

I have interviews lined up for next week, just pray I get a job. I am soo bored I don't know what to do, apart from find a job, do some studying etc, etc.

Beth

Oh dear Beth - sorry you have been having such a difficult time. But as you say: onward and upward. Plenty of time for study, I'd say! xD

Beau's advice is very sound. Might print it off and laminate it for myself... :o

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Maz is right, Beth - put it down to experience..these things are sent to try us.....and move on, hopefully not feeling too bitter. Let us know how the interviews go next week -what have you got lined up?

Oh dear Beth - sorry you have been having such a difficult time. But as you say: onward and upward. Plenty of time for study, I'd say! xD

Beau's advice is very sound. Might print it off and laminate it for myself... :o

Maz

Can you run me off a copy too! :( It's one thing to give the advice, another to actually put it into practice. :(

Maz is right, Beth - put it down to experience..these things are sent to try us.....and move on, hopefully not feeling too bitter. Let us know how the interviews go next week -what have you got lined up?

Thanks Wolfie

I'd applied for the jobs before the situation orrcured, hence being very upset about the situation.

I have:

one interview for an Early Years Practitoner in a children's centre in the local area.

one interview for a Senior Early Years Practitioner in a day nursery about 1/2 drive away.

I have a few application forms to fill out too.

Beth