Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wages And Attending Courses?

Hi, about to go on a series of courses in Oct (child protection and EYFS). The EYFS is funded so I get paid and the committee get paid my wages from LEA. The child protction one isnt but I will be paid (well hope so!).

Thing is I know there is a big clamp down on overtime at the pre-school due to finances :oxD:( Like we get paid for even half of what we actually do :( The courses I am going on are all at night time (so no cover required) however they are a distance away..20 miles return trip each time at 10 trips. One staff member (special needs ) says she is goping to claim petrol for hers (she is only doing 3) and I wonder if I should be trying to claim mine? I am actually also taking another member of staff. Do any of you get paid petrol? What do you think? Should I just leave it considering the finances?

Thanks for advice.

Well I would definitely say give it a go. Petrol isn't exactly cheap is it. You are taking another member of staff too so that should be to your favour.

They can only say no!

Hi,

I understand what you’re saying and it could work out quite costly. I always got paid for my time on training courses but never charged for petrol. The way I always looked at it was the courses were beneficial both to the playgroup and myself in terms of professional development. Therefore some cost to myself seemed fair, providing the playgroup was also forking out their fair share as well.

As you say, finances are always an issue in these groups and it won’t pay you to put them out of business! They would also have a case for restricting the courses you attend on their behalf if they deemed it too costly. :o Could you not share the cost with your colleague since you are giving her a lift?

Hi

Thanks for the opinions. I hadnt even thought of it until it was mentioned by other member of staff! Would hate to put them out of business so will give it a miss. As you say these courses are beneficial to myself also.

Hi, about to go on a series of courses in Oct (child protection and EYFS). The EYFS is funded so I get paid and the committee get paid my wages from LEA. The child protction one isnt but I will be paid (well hope so!).

Thing is I know there is a big clamp down on overtime at the pre-school due to finances :oxD:( Like we get paid for even half of what we actually do :( The courses I am going on are all at night time (so no cover required) however they are a distance away..20 miles return trip each time at 10 trips. One staff member (special needs ) says she is goping to claim petrol for hers (she is only doing 3) and I wonder if I should be trying to claim mine? I am actually also taking another member of staff. Do any of you get paid petrol? What do you think? Should I just leave it considering the finances?

Thanks for advice.

You can claim petrol back through the inland revenue at .40p per mile for the first 10000 miles I claim this back regularly as I am driving all over the place you need to contact the inland rev for details

Ooh we had this issue come up recently at pre-school (committee run) as some staff were claiming petrol and overtime and some weren't. I wasn't so feel it was a little sneaky so perhaps you need to get committee/leader to clarify- it was brought up at my committee meeting and the decision was reached to pay overtime on mandatory courses- first aid etc and petrol paid (can't remember how much pence per mile sorry) but only when staff travelled over 5 miles to reach training establishment. Each staff member then recieved a letter confirming the decision which was good although there is now some confusion over what courses are considered mandatory.

For instance I am now child protection officer so need to 'upgrade' my level from basic level 1 meaning an extra 4 courses all of which are out of session hours (and within 5 miles)- it is mandatory for me as leading practice etc and for additional job role but not sure if is considered mandatory by the committee so still there is confusion! :S

an ex-chair said courses that benefit the setting- staff should be paid to go on, but courses benefitting personal practice should not which makes sense but I'm sure people can wangle it to fit the way they want

I personally enjoy courses and book onto quite a few and don't mind travelling further to access them but don't feel I need to be paid to do them or then it feels like an incentive and that it is the only reason I am on it otherwise I would not book but I can see how the incentive can work for staff who are perhaps not so motivated

Sorry that I'm not particularly helpful but thought I would put my point across anyway

Welcome to the Forum, ExtraordinaryChicken!

You raise some interesting points - as you say if some staff are claiming and others are not this is bound to cause problems sooner or later!

If any training is mandatory for you to carry out your responsibilities then I don't see how the committee can ignore this - if you didn't do the training your group would not be meeting its legal responsibilities which is quite a serious repercussion of a bit of penny pinching, I'd say!

Not all staff members see training as positive, so I'd say your group is lucky to employ someone like you who not only enjoys training but who doesn't always feel they need to be paid as an incentive to train. Just make sure this doesn't lead to your being treated differently than the other staff!

Maz

Welcome from me too!

I think that what is needed at your setting is much more structured staff supervision and appraisals. These will highlight everybodies 'next steps' in terms of training required. As these are discussed and agreed between the staff member and committee I would say they should then pay the staff to attend. All training entered into should be beneficial for both parties!

Guest MaryEMac

At our playgroup we only get paid for training if we have to lose work hours to go on it. If the course is out of work hours then the drivers can claim petrol money. We are allowed up to 2hrs a week for planning/staff meetings and wherever possible I book bespoke courses that can be held at our setting during these 2 hrs so that the staff get paid.

Mary