Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

I'm beginning to panic (so what's new) :o Having looked through some of the planning examples for the first weeks of this term, it looks as if people are introducing graphemes straight away. I've not started yet and was planning on doing some work on Phase 1 - especially alliteration and rhyme because quite a few of mine haven't got the idea, and was then planning to go onto Aspect 7 - oral segmenting and blending - which would probably mean not introducing graphemes until after half term. I know some of my children already know some of their alphabet, but they can't orally blend or segment. As we are awaiting THE call, I'm now worried that they'll say I'm not pushing the children enough. Ideas please!

Hopefully Harricroft

If thats what you've assessed the children as needing, then that should be ok shouldnt it? Make sure you have your evidence and that you are moving the children on as you have assessed.

Good luck.

I'd agree with Susan - we did start at phase two with our new intake as they seemed ready for it, but have now rejigged and split the group as it's clear some still need phase one. I wouldn't rush it if you're happy that's where your children are. I'm sure taking shortcuts in phonics can produce problems further on. At our school we now have a group of Y5/6 children who are having to go through phase 5 as that's where they are. They missed out lower down school as they were reasonable sight readers, and the chickens have come home to roost!

HTH

Tracylu :)

but have now rejigged and split the group as it's clear some still need phase one

We decided on this too and have slowed down the imput.We are spliting 3 ways and keeping basic provision as the main focus and withdrawing small groups for imput at their levels.

Thanks for that. I think I may do some oral blending and segmenting with those who've got the alliteration and work on Phase 1 with those that haven't.

We are just about to start phase 2 this week.

But also doing lots of the phase 1 activities too to promote alliteration, segmenting, rhyme etc,

Will look at grouping in a couple of weeks.

We have a lot with not letter recognitional at all and many that can name the letters rather then sounds.

Phase 1 is designed to run alongside the other phases as well as being one to work on in FS1 so needs continuous reinforcement. I don't think that learning the phonemes is dependent on the children having completed Phase 1. Some children come to understand phonics in different ways, so although I would group them for some activities I would still introduce Phase 2.

Guest tinkerbell

I too have a mixed bag ,some children can give 26 sounds for the alphabet and some have 1 or 2! so will start phase 2 tomorrow(lots of phase 1 going on too), will see how the high fliers go

tinkerbellx

Tinkerbell, mine aound similar to yours - some know no sounds (which is actually easier I find!!) and some know sounds for the 26 letters of the alphabet. A few can blend and segment CVC words ... so for these few children, this week I am teaching them to read the Phase 2 tricky words, going over the double end sounds (ll, ss, ff, zz) and reinforcing reading and spelling CVCs ... oh, and trying to correct pronunciation of letter sounds - arghhhhh so hard to unpick! The children who are more advanced have come from a nursery that seems to prioritise learning letter sounds (and writing them!) over everything else - some who supposedly know them don't as they obviously weren't ready for it at the time - but they mspronounce a lot of them (tuh instead of t, suh instead of sssss, if you see what I mean!)

Anyway, hopefully I will move them on to Phase 3 next week or the week after when we have finished Phase 2!

Harricot,

I am doing the same as you. I find that, if they cannot blend and segmentate orally, it will present problems later on with Phase 2 and CVC words. Although Phase 1 is to run alongside other phases, I have seen that it is okay to keep reinforcing Phase 1 during the other phases, but this phase needs to be solid to start the rest. That is my personal experience.

Edited by SmileyPR

I'm beginning to panic (so what's new) :o Having looked through some of the planning examples for the first weeks of this term, it looks as if people are introducing graphemes straight away. I've not started yet and was planning on doing some work on Phase 1 - especially alliteration and rhyme because quite a few of mine haven't got the idea, and was then planning to go onto Aspect 7 - oral segmenting and blending - which would probably mean not introducing graphemes until after half term. I know some of my children already know some of their alphabet, but they can't orally blend or segment. As we are awaiting THE call, I'm now worried that they'll say I'm not pushing the children enough. Ideas please!

Hopefully Harricroft

Hi

I'm in upper Foundation and we are covering Phase 1 letetrs and sounds alongside jolly phonics . After revisiting/introducing letters I hope to go onto Phase 2 -satpin making words etc.Definitely not ready to do Phase 2 .

helen cumbria

Ps-don't worry I panic about everything.

Hopefully Harricroft

Does anyone have any fun craft activities to go alongside the introduction of the sounds at Phase 2 ?

We are onto p, i, n this week and wanted some nice activities to link to this. We introduce the sounds using Jolly phonics ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)