Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Ofsted

Hi all

Well to say I feel deflated this morning is an understatement!

Monday morning as I arrived at pre-school two Ofsted inspectors were waiting. After all our hard work over the summer spending weeks researching formats, looking at implementing child initiated activities and deciding the best path for us to take we went back to work determined to meet the challenge of EYFS. As you will all know the first few weeks can be hard when you have new starters and our plan was to settle the children into pre-school over the first two weeks then really begin to implement our planning. You guessed it the first morning this was due to occur Ofsted were at the door. We had three new children including twins who cried most of the morning, one staff member had phoned in sick and we thought we were ready!!!! How wrong we were! The result satisfactory in every area. For me it was a bitter pill to swallow (we have always been good) especially as we were the inspectors first setting inspected under the EYFS and they had put us in as a childminder had come up first but they felt two inspectors turning up on her doorstep may have been too much (I agree) so we were up first.

Sorry if I sound miffed but I just feel so upset as my staff are brill and they are all without a shadow of a doubt OUTSTANDING!

To any setting due to be inspected I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for letting me blow off a bit of steam and thanks to everyone for making this forum helpful and informative since joining earlier this year you have all been an unending source of information, help and support to me by allowing me to dip into your lives as a spectator. Hopefully I will be able to repay this over the next weeks, months, years and decades ............

I dont know what to say as I think a lot of settings are in the same position. I HONESTLY thought they would turn up at mine on Monday. New children, staff, students - EYFS, starting EYP, everything is just so much pressure without them. All I can say is chin up but I can understand how you are feeling.

Will post with my news later as off to work now- its another moan

The only good thing is that right from the off you are going to get very focussed advice on what is working well and what needs to be improved upon. This will at least save you wasting time concentrating your energy and time on things that don't need it. All you can do now is put it behind you and look to the future. If you know you have a good strong team who all know their stuff, and parents value the work you do, then this is a huge positive and worth celebrating. :o

Hi,

We've just been inspected - had one inspector turn up on thursday morning and again monday morning. we don't open on a friday as another use uses the village hall.

I was very miffed that we were inspected so early - our 3 years was up in july - so new we'd get one fairly soon. I did challenge the inspector - bit cheeky! but said I understood that they were doing re-registrations and then unsatisfactories , then satisfactory etc. I guess someone has to be first - and it does seem really unfair - the only positive thing I can say is that it's done and dusted now - you don't need to panic and you can reflect on your good practice and evidence how you are going to improve it. We hadn't had chance to do the self-evaluation - and that's one of our objectives is to get it done - but I do feel there's no hurry now - I can take my time - and i'm going to as it's 30 pages long!

It is hard when you know your practice is good, but you have a piece of paper from ofsted that tells you your "satisfactory". As others have said - see it as the stepping stone to improving your evidence and showing everyone that you are outstanding!

keep smiling and you know you are good.

alison

I agree with Helen. I'm sure there are loads of positive comments you can focus on.

It must be everybody's fear that Ofsted will turn up in the first few days of september- not because we have anything to hide - but because there are so many new children to settle in that caring for them must take priority over anything else you would like to "prove" to Ofsted inspectors.

Surely Ofsted must see that the children come first. Isn't that what the EYFS is all about !

Stay positive. The parents will be able to see for themselves the good work you are doing with the children.

Congratulations to you both! Can't have been easy but its all over now for another few years.

New terms are always quite demanding with trying to settle new children and with the introduction of EYFS. I agree with Beau in that you will get the right sort of advice on improvments and what works well.

Keep your chin up.............and focus on all the things you do best. :o

Is there anyone out there who is ready for an inspection during the first two weeks of September. Even though you have planned and worked endlessly over the summer months, children still need to be settled in, new parents reassured etc. and that makes running your setting the way you want to very difficult. I think it is good that Ofsted don't give notice of their visit, but I don't think they should visit in the first 2 weeks. MEAN!

Rather harsh! Would have been in exactly the same boat as you in the first couple of weeks of term. Planning very much in the development stage. If like us, you spent the whole summer getting ready without extra pay, what more could they ask for?

Look to the positives. the main one being it is out of the way now!!!!

Done and dusted. :o

Don't be disheartened, everything was satisfactory and that says alot.

Like someone on here already said.......... someone had to go first!

I am sorry that it was you but move onwards and upwards now!!!!!!!!!

Heave a big sigh of relief and grab a glass of something alcoholic!!

I was ofsteded in sept 2 years ago, i also came out with a satisfactory. I too felt disheartened. Its difficult with lots of new children, but why should we wish they would come at another time. This is part of what we do. This is what happens when children first leave their carers. What is ofsted about? Good paperwork

I feel the longer i am in this profession for the more i become bitter about ofsted.

I also feel, who are they to flounce :o in and totally disrupt and nit pick and pass judgement when they are only with you for such a short time.. my staff are dedicated and hard working and we do the best we can. i also feel most of the paperwork i do is for the sole purpose of "in case ofsted turn up".

Rant over xD

:o poor you!

I'd be fed up, too - but trying to tell myself that at least it's over xD

Use it as a baseline and keep up the good work, who knows later inspections may be worse as "THEY" think of new/different things to look for!!

Nona

Thanks for all your kind words!

Had a good chat with all the staff and focussed on the fact that we now have three years to get everything in place. Today it felt that it would take that long........ ha! ha!

As people have said we will focus on the positive and be relieved that its over. Once again thanks for all the support!!

Had a good chat with all the staff and focussed on the fact that we now have three years to get everything in place. Today it felt that it would take that long........ ha! ha!

As people have said we will focus on the positive and be relieved that its over. Once again thanks for all the support!!

See what a difference a day on the Forum can make? That, and having the opportunity to stop, take stock and reflect and see the way forward! I'm glad that you can see the positives - as Beau said at least you can use the feedback from your inspection in a very focused way to ensure that you're doing everything you need to. Unlike the rest of us who have to guess!

Maz

See what a difference a day on the Forum can make? That, and having the opportunity to stop, take stock and reflect and see the way forward! I'm glad that you can see the positives - as Beau said at least you can use the feedback from your inspection in a very focused way to ensure that you're doing everything you need to. Unlike the rest of us who have to guess!

Maz

Hi everyone,

Like many others I feel that if Mr or Mrs O, had to return to the playgroup, nursery or childminder etc about 6 weeks after the report has been written up, she/he might be a little more circumspect in the judgements they had made. I find it really annoying that sometimes they say one thing and write another and all we can do is to complain but nothing changes . Oh by the way where does it say on the reports that a complaint had been made about the Inspector or his or her reporting?

Best wishes Ednaloy

We are a private nursery on a school site. We have been informed today that we are being inspected with the school next week 6 months after our last inspection which came out as Good. I am not sure what to expect as i do not know of any other nurseries being inspected under the new EYFS. We have been told that we will have our own inspected for 1 full day. We are registered for 26 children per session and are full in both sessions. Can anyone tell me what they will be looking for as our early years advisor was unsure.

Thanks

Alison

Could you please tell me what they focused on as we are being inspected on Tuesday 6 months after the last one with a 'Good' outcome Why??

I can't answer why they are inspecting you again, I'm afraid. Could you call Ofsted and ask them, perhaps?

Assuming it will still go ahead, the first thing I would do is to read your last report from six months ago, and make sure all the things that you were doing well then, still apply! Then I would go through it again, listing any recommendations so that you can make a development plan around them. You may well have ideas for improvement anyway, and you can put these into it too. Of course, tackle the SEF, and I think that covers it. xD

One thing you could consider: there's a chance you could get outstanding, isn't there? :o

we are being inspected on Tuesday 6 months after the last one with a 'Good' outcome Why??

Did the school you are attached to also get a 'good'? They tend to come back at 6/12/18 mths if theres been an issue or cause for concern.They won't take into account if you got a 'good' if the overview of the whole school was different

• 2 months later...