Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Reading Skills?

I have been a lurker on here for a while but I am in need of some guidance if anyone is able to help I would be very grateful.

I having been assisting a Y3 with their reading. My problem is the child is struggling with the high frequency words taught in reception such as look, here, where etc. I am looking for some FUN resource to use instead of the same old books that they have been using for years. I was thinking maybe a lotto/matching game? Or any ideas of how I can engage them in the high frequency words.

Thanks in advance

Hello vickyk109, sorry can't help with your query, just wanted to say a warm welcome to the forum, and hopefully your post will be the first of many. :o

Peggy

A good link from poppetsam. The Reception HFW used to be taught by sight recognition but now the emphasis is on children using phonics rather than whole word recognition. Whole word recognition doesn't give children strategies for decoding words. If your Y3 is having difficulties now then previous teaching strategies were not working so s/he needs something different and fun, as you say. If you have a look at Letters and Sounds and work out what your Y3 can do already, as in which phase they need to start in, then you can match your activities to their needs and work through phonics systematically. Letters and Sounds is full of fun activities.

Materials and information on Letters and Sounds can be found here

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/local/cll.../phase_one.html

Thankyou all for the advice. I had already began to use the letters and sounds to begin some planning. We need to start at the beginning!

By 1 am this morning I had a high frequency lotto sorted and we had a ball with it today gaining so much literacy too we were building sentences after I was beaten at lotto!

Thankyou for all your responses in research I have found a good website that might be of use to you

www.communication4all.co.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)