Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recruitment Policy

Hi, I have just had a visit from my Early Years and Childcare support worker and she has advised me to have a recruitment policy. I am trying to update my current policies to be in line with the EYFS. We are a committee run pre-school so I am doing it mostly by myself, can anyone help me with this policy to please lighten my load? :o

Carol

Maz

you can buy even as a non member, just costs a bit more.. a lot less than a member ship anyway..

Yes, I know Inge - but I have been meaning to join for ages! The problem is I can't join online - so I get them to send me the info pack and then forget to do anything about it... :o As an ex-PLA employee I know I should be ashamed!

Maz

so time to get your act together then....

But then they have promised these new policies for September.. and now October... We have had EYFS documents for a while. makes me curious as to how different they are to their current ones.. ours are on order! :o

Inge

But then they have promised these new policies for September.. and now October... We have had EYFS documents for a while. makes me curious as to how different they are to their current ones.. ours are on order! :o

Well lets just hope they are sufficiently improved/altered to justify the cost of buying the new copy: did they offer a discount to those who bought the original version?

I am currently having a dispute with a parent who has asked me not to employ anymore Muslims as I have a few staff who will be off for Eid.

Our centre is slightly different in that the staff who provide the care for the children are self employed and have a contract directly with the parents. I checked our records and in the last 6 months we have provided care for this parents child all bar one day when we asked her to collect him early as we had no running water. She came at around 3pm (hardly early!!) The parent claims that she not being treated fairly. Again this will be one day that she has been asked to take care of her own son. Sorry to highjack this thread, I just thought the request to not employ Muslims was somewhat relevant!!!

I certainly agree with you there, Wendles!!

She obviously doesn't like to be 'inconvenienced'!! How many Muslim staff do you have? Could you not point out that this is a multicultural society and we all have rights!!

My daughter (Christian) works for a Hindu who requires her to work on the lead up to major festivals, even on normal closure days, including Christmas - she was once asked to work on Christmas Day for a client who had a party on Boxing Day!!!!!!!! (She's a Beauty Therapist, in case you're wondering - and she refused. Nearly got the sack :o )

And now it's me that's hijacking!

I am currently having a dispute with a parent who has asked me not to employ anymore Muslims as I have a few staff who will be off for Eid.

I'm confused. You employ the staff, Wendles but they have a contract directly with the parents? Sounds like an interesting set up!

As you say, this is an interesting part of recruitment policy. We have a duty to employ the best person for the job, irrespective of religious/cultural background. So if we know that a percentage of our staff will require time off during Eid, we need to ensure that we have enough staff who are prepared to work during Eid to keep the sessions running. So could we legally refuse to employ more Muslims, using this need to keep sessions running as a defence? I think our contracts say that religious holidays may be granted at the owner's discretion - I didn't think they were an entitlement.

I'm not sure how your parent would get on with a claim that she was being treated unfairly: she would have to show that other parents were treated differently wouldn't she? Are all the parents affected by this or just some? If the staff are self employed and they have a contract with the parents directly would they be able to complain to you?

I think this raises many important questions - but answers none! I'll be very interested to see how this resolves itself! What advice have you received so far?

Maz

HappyMaz I don't know where to begin. I did make an error, we don't employ the staff we recruit them. I then find them children to look after (current waiting list at 50 names). Our centre was established 22 years ago to provide local people with work and local families with childcare. The staff used to be classified as childminders who were unable to use there own homes because of the type of housing in our area (central London). The centre has evolved somewhat since then, however each staff member (current only 4 we are recruiting now) can have 3 children - 1 baby, 1 toddler and 1 pre-school with an afterschool child as well, in this sense very much childminder based. Each staff member has a contract with the parent which is set up by me and then the parent pays the staff member directly. DUe to only haivng 4 staff I had tried to reason with them that only 1 of them could be off at a time which might allow us to take care of their children therefore providing consistent care for the parents, however I really feel I can't say no due to the nature of the day of they want to take. So this will affect 6 parents in total. I cannot possibly cover the care of 6 extra children safely. All the other parents have been fine about the situation.

I had a chat with the unhappy parent on friday morning and explained to her (again) that the service she is paying for (very cheap) is not one that offers back up. When I was leaving to go home on friday I met her outside the centre, she gave me a packet of sweets saying she did nto have enough for everyone but I could have some! Gave me a nice smile and told me to have a good weekend!!!!!!! An apology(?)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)