Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Short Term Planning

hi all, hope you have had a good day back (AND IF YOU ARE NOT BACK YET ENJOY!) i am hoping to be cheeky and see if anyone is willing to share any RECEPTION weekly short term planning proformas. i am more than willing to share mine only they are in publisher and it will not seem to met me do it. PS Do you do separate phonics planning?

I would also really appreciate this!! I am new to planningf for reception and am just not sure how I could lay it out in the best way/ what I should include. A few examples would be REALLY helpful so we can compare them.

Thank you so much to all of those who can help us confused teachers!!

You need to add some context. Are you on your own in class or do you have 1, 2 or more helpers? I am in a FSU, teaching both FS1 and FS2 - 1 teacher with 1 Nursery Nurse plus 2 TAs - we have from 36 to 56 children depending upon intake levels in each age range. Phonic sessions will take place every day for us - we are in an area of high deprivation!

Welcome to teaching reception you will love it

at end of day we are all doing it right because iits what works for us and for our settings but l'll try and see if i can download my examples i do tweak every now and again and some weeks depending on home life have more detail than others

i have an indoor and outdoor continuous provision plan which acts as a reminder for me and my team what to set out durng the week and change or enhance... this will highlight whether its adult structured or if observations are planned etc too... this is relevannt to my setting areas for example sand water modelling interactive whiteboard writing corner small world computers construction etc role play etc outside is very similiar number fine motor sand water etc

i then have a overview of the six areas with intended outcomes for structured adult led activities with resources key questions differentiation etc child led activities i have in more detail within medium term planning

i do have a separate daily phonics plan following jolly phonics linking letters and sounds activites and with the pace of letters and sounds also with intro of key words tricky words etc i only do this as i find it helps to ensure quality and pace of these sesions and because l'm not completely familiar with all new resources yet however this is in my mediuum term plan too so i may not plan so much daily info as i become more familiar my ta uses these plans when we later separate the groups out to ability and she revisits my old plans with children needing more consolidation

will try and add now hope this helps

the document added is an example of format i follow probably picked up from someone else i add my thanks to them

obviously mine has my school name on and is relevant to my setting so is slightly tweaked more

hope this helps isn't perfect and will change as i become used to eyfs more

Planning_____example_FSF.doc

• 2 weeks later...

at end of day we are all doing it right because iits what works for us and for our settings but l'll try and see if i can download my examples i do tweak every now and again and some weeks depending on home life have more detail than others

i have an indoor and outdoor continuous provision plan which acts as a reminder for me and my team what to set out durng the week and change or enhance... this will highlight whether its adult structured or if observations are planned etc too... this is relevannt to my setting areas for example sand water modelling interactive whiteboard writing corner small world computers construction etc role play etc outside is very similiar number fine motor sand water etc

i then have a overview of the six areas with intended outcomes for structured adult led activities with resources key questions differentiation etc child led activities i have in more detail within medium term planning

i do have a separate daily phonics plan following jolly phonics linking letters and sounds activites and with the pace of letters and sounds also with intro of key words tricky words etc i only do this as i find it helps to ensure quality and pace of these sesions and because l'm not completely familiar with all new resources yet however this is in my mediuum term plan too so i may not plan so much daily info as i become more familiar my ta uses these plans when we later separate the groups out to ability and she revisits my old plans with children needing more consolidation

the document added is an example of format i follow probably picked up from someone else i add my thanks to them

obviously mine has my school name on and is relevant to my setting so is slightly tweaked more

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE OF PLANNING, IS THERE ANY CHANCE I COULD SEE AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR MEDIUM TERM PLANNING AND HOW THIS LINKS TO IT. THANKS.

HELLO CHERRY CHERRY, THIS IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF PLANNING YOU HAVE SHOWN, IS THER ANY CHANCE THAT I COULD SEE A COPY OF YOUR MEDIUM TERM PLANS.

THANK YOU

HELLO CHERRY CHERRY, THIS IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF PLANNING YOU HAVE SHOWN, IS THER ANY CHANCE THAT I COULD SEE A COPY OF YOUR MEDIUM TERM PLANS.

THANK YOU

Hi,

Like your planning and am sure I will find it useful. Is it possible to see your medium term planning as well just to see how it all links together?

Thanks already for what you have shared with us.

Nicky Sussex :oxD:(

I too like your plan it's easy to read and seems to cover everything without being too onourous. How many times do you cover PSRN because I noticed that you only had it down on a Monday?

By all means use my plan and adapt to suit, I'm glad that someone else can use it.

PSRN - This is only down on Monday because this is my Maths focus day, however this is not the only number work that i do. We do number songs every day, counting the children and writing the amount, doing the date etc all on a daily basis. I don't record this sort of thing on my planning because it happens throughout the day and if i recorded everything my planning would work in the minimalistic way that i like. What is highlighted at the side is usually relating to the adult focussed activities and i let my continuous provision LTP sheets cover the rest. Hope that makes sense?

Rufus, I love the clear and simple way you have set out your planning. I have used it for this week to see how I go.

Thanks you so much for sharing.

You are very welcome. It is nice to know that others think it covers all the neccessaries,, you are never too sure when you knock something up yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

Rufus I too like your planning and would go further to say that at the beginning of the week I would not have so much in the Wed, Thurs, Frid as I would be waiting to see how Monday and Tuesday panned out and so do daily planning.

Rufus I too like your planning and would go further to say that at the beginning of the week I would not have so much in the Wed, Thurs, Frid as I would be waiting to see how Monday and Tuesday panned out and so do daily planning.

Oh believe me it never stays the same! I plan the week on the previous friday and by Monday everything has changed again and by Wednesday we are completeyl off plan, apart from the phonics and fixed things like PE and ICT. Have to plan for the school but it never stays the same - that's what I love about it!

I am working in an Early Years/Reception class with a group of 30 mostly 4 year olds.

I am trying to find a way of planning that enables me to respond to the childrens interests. It also needs to show links to the outdoor area and covers all that we need to focus on in a week. It also needs to be manageable. I find that this plan works for me but I am worried that it is not what I should be doing. i am so confused. would appreciate any comments.

I have attached the weekly plans I use

Thank you

a._weekly_plan_6th_October2008.doc

Learning_Environment_6th_Oct_08.doc

a._weekly_plan_6th_October2008.doc

You are very welcome. It is nice to know that others think it covers all the neccessaries,, you are never too sure when you knock something up yourself!

Thanks Rufus, this looks just the job for me too. Ilike your minimalist approach - it allows for flexibility, whilst not wasting time on elaborate plans that never materialise.

If possible could you attach a copy of your medium term plans, I'd like to see how you plan for continuous provision. Mine are too detailed, and the children never do what I've planned, so a more streamlined approach would suit me fine. I'm on my ppa now and hate the thought of writing detailed plans that are just a waste of time and effort!

Hope this isn't too much to ask, nodody seems to be getting much help from their advisors and anyway they're not at the chalkface are they?

Thanks a lot, I'll get off my soap-box now!

Thanks Rufus, this looks just the job for me too. Ilike your minimalist approach - it allows for flexibility, whilst not wasting time on elaborate plans that never materialise.

If possible could you attach a copy of your medium term plans, I'd like to see how you plan for continuous provision. Mine are too detailed, and the children never do what I've planned, so a more streamlined approach would suit me fine. I'm on my ppa now and hate the thought of writing detailed plans that are just a waste of time and effort!

Hope this isn't too much to ask, nodody seems to be getting much help from their advisors and anyway they're not at the chalkface are they?

Thanks a lot, I'll get off my soap-box now!

Corinne, I don't really have medium term plans. I make a topic web but that is really for my reference and to aid the brainstorming process. I will attach them so that you can have a look.

I have LTP which are continuous provision sheets and then I go straight to STP, don't see the need for MTP, an unneccesary waste of paper if you ask me. I attach both anyway.

Have just replied to you on another thread about PE plans, would love to see the Leicesterhsire ones if that's possible, there is no money for us to buy them!

Topic_web.doc

Adult_focussed_activity_sheet.docDaily_Plan_for_the_Early_Years_Class.doc

I forgot to add my daily timetable which can be added to or altered each day as required and my sheet for adult focussed activities. Does this make more sense?

I feel really unsure about my planning and sharing it has made me feel even more insecure. Perhaps I should just start again.

Daily_Plan_for_the_Early_Years_Class.docAdult_focussed_activity_sheet.doc

Hi Timefallfan and welcome.

Your planning looks comprehensive to me but do you not need to provide some idea of when you are doing what within it?

I forgot to add my daily timetable which can be added to or altered each day as required and my sheet for adult focussed activities. Does this make more sense?

I feel really unsure about my planning and sharing it has made me feel even more insecure. Perhaps I should just start again.

Corinne, I don't really have medium term plans. I make a topic web but that is really for my reference and to aid the brainstorming process. I will attach them so that you can have a look.

I have LTP which are continuous provision sheets and then I go straight to STP, don't see the need for MTP, an unneccesary waste of paper if you ask me. I attach both anyway.

Have just replied to you on another thread about PE plans, would love to see the Leicesterhsire ones if that's possible, there is no money for us to buy them!

Thanks alot, that makes me feel much because that's how I feel about MTP's. :( Your topic webs look very similar to mine so, hopefully, we're on the right track. Surely it's what works for us in our setting? :o

Haven't managed to get hold of the PE plans yet, someone else has taken them so I will get them asap. Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, we've had parents evenings this week, so have spent my time updating profiles & seetting targets! xD They're over now so I can get back to normal - whatever that is!

Thanks again for sharing, it is very reassuring to be able to talk to like minded people. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)