Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shapes

we do a lovely one that our children love, you would need a tesco chocolate tin because it is like a mirror in the bottom. you put about 4 of each shape you are using into it and hide them from the children. the song goes can you tell me what I have and tell me whats it's name is, heres another one (take same shape out and hold it), heres another one, heres another one and they are all called? then the children name them.

at the end of the activity you sing that you chave something special in the tin and pass it round asking the children what they think is special in the tin. the answer of course is them because they can see their face.

I hope this helps. I have used this for years and all my children have enjoyed it and learn their shapes ok. I also do a jennie mouse activity for number which I adapted for colour and then one for shape and I keep being asked to do jennie mouse.

killowengirl

we do a lovely one that our children love, you would need a tesco chocolate tin because it is like a mirror in the bottom

Do you mean drinking chocolate, killowengirl? And what tune is the song sung to? This sounds like a lovely activity - just right for a circle time activity which is simple and easy to manage!

Often simple activities are the most effective, aren't they?

Maz

thank you it is a simpe activity and I douse it in circe time but the children love it as they do jennie mouse. The tune is B.I.N.G.O. and the tin I use is a tesco chocolates tin that you eat, indulgue on after a hard term.

killowengirl

I am off to Tesco to get my tin tonight!! A great activity ..... I have already included a shape walk for the topic :) Keep the ideas coming :o Thanks everyone!

Jellytots

pleased you like that one jellytots. One of the other ones my children love is jennie mouse, I have a mouse puppet and a set of cardswith a printed mouse. I hide the mouse in an envelope behind one of the houses and we sing where oh where is jennie mouse etc etc is she in the circle house/ number 1 house if doing numbers/red etc if doing colours.

killowengirl

sorry forgot the end, the child who is holding jennie mouse has a look behind the chosen house, then passes it on if jennie isnt there.

killowengirl

Hi! I have made large shapes from cardboard placed them on the floor (indoors or out) and set it out that they are in a river. The children have to cross the river stepping on the shape that is pulled out of the bag or you can just say a shape before the crocodiles etc get them! The children love it and it can be adapted by adding or taking away various shapes. Hope this is a help.

Jerseygirl :o

We had a variation on the shape walk and asked the children to do a shape hunt around the building. We let them use digital cameras to photograph the shapes they found and I was amazed at how observant they were. Often they were showing me shapes within shapes that I hadn't even spotted.

I hid shapes around my playground. We then chalked large shapes on the playground, set apart from each other. First we played a game where the children had to run to the shape with 3 corners, the square, the blue shape etc. Then we played hunt the shapes, once they found a shape they had to put it on the correct chalked shape on the playground. It was really good fun and once you had lead the initial part of the game you could observe the children carrying on.

Have also made shape toast, shape printing, making shapes with large elastic scrunchies - a great co-operation activity.

We cut out large shapes from card, on those shapes we bluetack smaller shapes. We then splash paint over, when dry take smaller shapes off and left with shapes underneath - we then display the large and small shapes. Makes great display, fun and easy to do. :o

Wow! I am thrilled at the response to this thread -you have all been very helpful, much appreciated! I have lots of ideas now thanks to you all! *big grin ... Jellytots :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)