Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Taking Two Year Olds Out And About

Staff working with 2 year olds at a Children's Centre I work with have been told they aren't allowed to take the 2 year olds out of the nursery garden (not even into the neighbouring school grounds let alone in the local community), yet the 3 and 4 year olds are allowed out. Does anyone have a policy on visits for two year olds, or a completed risk assessment, for example for a trip to the local greengrocers, that I could share with them to give them something to share with the powers that be to enable them to take the 2 year olds out?

Thanks in anticipation

Mabel

I don't work in a Children's Centre, so can't really comment on their policies. However I would have thought that provided you did the necessary risk assessments, had enough adults etc there shouldn't be a reason why you can't take out the two year olds.

Have they given you a reason for this: I must say now I've reverted to a small child whenever I'm faced with this sort of thing - I always ask "why" until either I get an answer that I can understand or the other person realises their position is unsupportable.

Oh, and I should say I encourage my staff to do the same whenever I say 'no', too!

I'll be interested to hear other people's views!

Maz

I did work in a childrens centre for a few years and we used to take the two year olds out after a thorough risk assessment using a sure start form and we had no problems

killowengirl

Any risk assessment would be different to each location and 'cohort' of children (various needs).

I used to take my 2 yr olds out to the local shops, beach, park, etc.

I agree, as others have said "Why?"

Maybe your staff could work together to do a risk assessment, it's good that all staff go through the 'thought' process if possible then everyone 'understands' which risks they need to be more aware of etc, ie: Johnny needs to hold an adults hand (a runner!) whereas Tom is confident, experienced, safe and is able to hold hands with one of the younger children (example with different age ranges say 2-4 yrs on outing) :o .

Another risk example: if you come across any people walking dogs, Harry might run towards, or try to stroke the dog, as he loves animals, Claire may try and run away and /or get upset as she's terrified of dogs.

Good luck, I hope you can persuade the powers that be that with due care and attention there is no reason why 2 yr olds can't have the benefit of experiencing local outings, especially as many don't get a chance to 'walk' very far these days. xD

Peggy

I work in a Children's Centre and out 2 year olds go out just the same as all the others. As others have said, you just need to do the usual risk assessment as you would for any trip.

I have sometimes found that staff who are "unwilling" to do something sometimes say that it's "not allowed"! :o I'm not sure whether that might be the case in your situation?

Edited by Wolfie

How odd! childminders take 2 year olds out all the time, with the usual risk-assessments obviously! I often see the local nurseries out with their 2 year olds too. Keep asking "why?" - it may well turn out to ba an "urban myth" type of thing.

Good Luck,

Nona

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I do agree wholeheartedly with them. The staff are keen to take the children out - it was they who asked me for help with this. I thought that some concrete evidence from somewhere else about how taking them out is managed might help the staff's cause.

Mabel

Just another thought about going out - the EYFS does state that if groups don't have outdoor areas they must have daily trips. Now I'm sure a children's centre will have a garden (although now I think of it I'm sure I was reading about one that didn't :o ), but if the EYFS states that children must have these opportunities to go out into the community it must surely be for all children, and not just those over two?

It might provide another bit of ammunition to throw at whoever has made this rule?

Maz

the staff at our centre are employed by nch or our local council, have you checked what their policies are?

i just thought of that, as we went on a trip and didn't know what info to give our parents about car seats to put on the bus and we got the relevant info from nch. so maybe who ever yours is, would be a good port of call to check it out.

and hopefully you could use the info they provide.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)