Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Classroom Pets!

Hi Everyone, Does anybody know whether you are allowed to have a classroom pet? I really would like a goldfish in my classroom, but I am unsure whether this is allowed. I have searched the internet, but there is no definite answers. I know it is a health and safety concern, but I am sure a gold fish would be ok. Thanks. Lindsey :o

I'm sure it's OK Lindsey - just make sure, as with any issue that has a health and safety aspect, that you've done a risk assessment (risk assessing a goldfish does sound slightly mad I know!) and as a result minimised any identified risks.

I would also put a note out to parents to let them know that the children will be having a pet and the reasons why. Will you need help with choosing a name - we could always have a FSF poll, we're good at those! :o

Hi

I have 2 giant African land snails. They are included in our risk assesment of the room, as in the children must wash their hands after handling them. We love our snails, they are a great topic of conversation and provide many hours of entertainment as well as meeting various ELG's. Go for it! I only have trouble when I take a holiday as not all the staff team are as at ease as I am when it comes to feeding and cleaning!

I'm sure it's OK Lindsey - just make sure, as with any issue that has a health and safety aspect, that you've done a risk assessment (risk assessing a goldfish does sound slightly mad I know!) and as a result minimised any identified risks.

I would also put a note out to parents to let them know that the children will be having a pet and the reasons why. Will you need help with choosing a name - we could always have a FSF poll, we're good at those! :o

Thanks for replying xD

Hi

I have 2 giant African land snails. They are included in our risk assesment of the room, as in the children must wash their hands after handling them. We love our snails, they are a great topic of conversation and provide many hours of entertainment as well as meeting various ELG's. Go for it! I only have trouble when I take a holiday as not all the staff team are as at ease as I am when it comes to feeding and cleaning!

Thanks for the advice :o

No problems having goldfish....................BUT...................consider using an acylic aquarium for it/them...we had ours in a glass one, which Ofsted said they couldn't officially complain about, but the inspector showed me a photo of a child's leg, which was horrifically scarred, due to the child doing a handstand next to the fish tank, faaling awkwardly and kicking the tank over, which smashed and the child landed on it,causing the dreadful injury. The child was the inspectors own daughter, so she was showing the photo to everyone who had tanks. Acrylic may well cause injuries if it breaks, but they are less likely, i think, to shatter. You can get some really lovely tanks too. We also keep African land snails (in a huge propagation tray,with ventilated lid..............children love watching it squelching its way over the lid, you can watch the ripply effect of its movements really well).....and stick insects, though you would need an easy source of privet for them (the pub next door to us has a privet hedge, so easy for us!_

No problems having goldfish....................BUT...................consider using an acylic aquarium for it/them...we had ours in a glass one, which Ofsted said they couldn't officially complain about, but the inspector showed me a photo of a child's leg, which was horrifically scarred, due to the child doing a handstand next to the fish tank, faaling awkwardly and kicking the tank over, which smashed and the child landed on it,causing the dreadful injury. The child was the inspectors own daughter, so she was showing the photo to everyone who had tanks. Acrylic may well cause injuries if it breaks, but they are less likely, i think, to shatter. You can get some really lovely tanks too. We also keep African land snails (in a huge propagation tray,with ventilated lid..............children love watching it squelching its way over the lid, you can watch the ripply effect of its movements really well).....and stick insects, though you would need an easy source of privet for them (the pub next door to us has a privet hedge, so easy for us!_

Thats great advice thank you. :o

We use to have fish and snails. The fish died and we gave the snails away to a little boy in year 1! They lost their interest and we didn't have anyone to look after them during the holidays so was easier to give them away.

So I think it should be fine!

Hali!!! I'm shocked..........

Why can't pre-school's have pets?!

We had 1 leg deficient stick insect left a the end of term (started last year with 9 - stick insects that is, not legs!) so when the summer hols came thought it would shuffle off this mortal coil in the break............... no such luck = 52 babies later (and counting......)

We also have 2 giant land snails ....... until the holidays no sign of eggs, now MILLIONS!!!

We do find the parents are none too keen to take them home at weekends and holidays though!

• 1 month later...

Hi Lindsey

I'm sure you've made a decision by now, but I thought you'd like to know that I keep three goldfish and two mongolialn gerbils. They are well loved and the children take great joy in taking turns to feed them. The gerbils are checked over daily and are fine over the weekend. I also hatched out chicks last year. They were a great hit with children and adults alike and I got Excellent for KUW in the ECERS assessment. I have had to do risk assessments and it is a good idea to get a 'Keeping Pets' policy up and running.

Enjoy them

• 1 month later...

I had two Guinea pigs and they were great! The children would take them home at weekends and over the holidays and durnig the day they would either go outside on the grass or be handled by the children for short periods of time. It was great for PSED, KUW and CLL!

We did a risk assessment and used out County Health and Safety policy and chose Guinea Pigs as they are not nocturnal.

I think all settings should have pets! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)